The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked before on something different for stocking my South American style tank since I don't want "just another tetra." The local petstore has White Clouds and Coral Pencilfish for reasonable prices (finally!) and was debating grabbing some for my 75g.

Current stocking:
1m-3f Apisto Cacatuoides
3 unsexed juvinile Checkerboard Cichlids
4 Peacock Gudgeon (my non-OCD friend bought them at a swap cause they'd look cool in my tank)
8 Penguin Tetras
9 Panda Cory

Lots of vertical cover with tiger vail, swords, and java moss/fern on wood and a 3D background.

I'm leaning towards 8-10 pencilfish, what I've researched they should work with the rest of the live stock in the tank. Shop owner said they won't work due to the cichlids in the tank. The wife mentioned the White Clouds in the next tank over and the shop owner said that was probably a better fit for my tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I don't know why the shop owner would tell you that. Pencils come from the same waters as apistos. I've had tanks with just apistos and pencils. They would great together. Pencils became one of my favorite fish once I tried them. If it were me I'd do that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
IMHO you already have enough fish species and the most logical step would be to increase the numbers in any of the species you already have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO you already have enough fish species and the most logical step would be to increase the numbers in any of the species you already have.
I realize that to some degree and I've been on the fence about removing the Gudeons since they are the odd-ball out in the tank. I was at the pet store getting a few more F guppies for my son's tank. I saw the pencils for $3 and almost made the impulse buy. Last time I was at this store they wanted $11 each.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have dwarf pencilfish and love them. The coral pencilfish is beautiful but has always been too pricey for me in my area. If they are reasonable and within your means, I'd go for them. Another consideration is that white clouds like temps cooler than the other species so may not be the best option. I'd research a bit more about the checkerboard cichlids, though. Pencils should be fine with the apistos.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That price is unbelievable. I would be picking up a dozen! :)
When last night and got 8 and we'll see how this goes.

The wife cracked at me because I mentioned maybe trying to trade in the Penguin tetras on more pencils. She doesn't understand EVOLUTION of a tank!
"Well you wouldn't go trade in the dog, would you?"
If that were an option....then she walked out of the room

·
Registered
958 Posts
The coral pencilfish are so small that 8 of them in a 75g might not show as well as a larger group. Another 8 on top of the 8 you've just added would be really nice. For $3!!! That's really unbelievable. My LFS sells them at around $16 EACH, which is why I haven't had them. :frown2:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the way the large "looping" driftwood with java is situated in the tank they are holding close to the front glass when stationary and shoaling a bit with the Penguin Tetras. Based on this chart they were miss labeled as Corals when I think they are Goldens, but are a bit more "vibrant" than this photo. For $3 a fish I'm still happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well, maybe a little disappointing that these are not coral pencilfish, but they are still a nice alternative to some of the standard tetras. I am a tetra fan, but love my dwarf pencilfish, too. Glad that you're happy with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts