The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
What a fun find! I would frame some of those old aquarium products to use as fish room decor. The tank looks to be in new condition but will likely leak after so long, I've read that black tar-like sealant dries out. I'd be tempted to just wrap it back up and put it away to sell as a valuable antique 30 years from now.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on using it. I am sure it will hold water. I got everything you see and a few other pieces for $35. Not only did it have the light but when I plugged it in the bulb still worked!! The fliter worked too. This should be a lot of fun.

Should I use the little airpump with the scuba diver I found in the box? It is very tempting to set it up as a period piece. I think rather I would prefer a planted tank. We'll see. I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your metal framed aquarium looks terrific! What size is it?

I had a 29g with the metal frame and a slate bottom. I had had it since I was 12. I gave it away when I moved. I should of kept it. It looked great.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I was going to ask if the Dynaflow filter worked, now I do not have too. I think I might set up something like that as a period piece, maybe with platies or guppies.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I'm jealous. Even if it doesn't hold water since it's all glass, no slate, silicone will stick.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 15g and I just resealed the inside of the glass with black silicone, that one I think is a metaframe. The seal has held for a couple of years now. I will probably line the corners of this one in a similar fashion just to be on the safe side.
I just couldn't believe it when I saw the llid and the light part. I have tried to find those before.

The woman who sold it to me asked me what I was going to put in it. She told me that when she was a little girl they had neons in it. There was a note in the box that suggested either neons or guppies. It suggested not using too many and cleaning the filter every three weeks. I did tell the woman I would put neons in it just for her.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wow! great find on the metal fram aquarium.

Last year I saw a metal frame aquarium for sale for a whooping $60 for 10 gal. The frame is not even as nice and polished as yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts