The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know using peat as a substrate can be really messy, but what about just using peat filtration. If I were for example to put it in a media bag and put it in the filter.

I'm planning a blackwater setup. I know leaves will release tanins, but I waas thinking peat filtration to lower pH.

·
Registered
537 Posts
They make Peat pellets for just this purpose that one can put in their canister filter.

However, I don't see why this could not work. I've tried it in the past with marginal success. Just be sure to have a very fine filter media to filter out the fine particles , or you'll always have stuuf floating around in your tank.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think you'll end up causing more trouble. Without monitoring your ph, gh, and kh all the time you won't know when the peat has been used up. Not to mention, unless your trying to breed a specific fish that requires a certain ph, then there is no need to alter your ph. You can still have a blackwater tank without altering the ph.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you'll end up causing more trouble. Without monitoring your ph, gh, and kh all the time you won't know when the peat has been used up. Not to mention, unless your trying to breed a specific fish that requires a certain ph, then there is no need to alter your ph. You can still have a blackwater tank without altering the ph.

Oh ok, I didn't realize all that. I don't want to have that amount of maintenance so I think I'll follow your advice and just go with the leaves. Thanks for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.