The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a question. I bought some Australian Killarney peat moss from Bunnings that was cheaper than this other stuff called sphagnum peat moss. The former was dark earthy brown and the latter fluffy and green (not quite dead). Are there any differences between these two, and if so, will they do the same job of providing organic carbon for my plants?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Peat moss and ground peat are two entirely different things. Peat moss is just a bit removed from being alive, is fairly long strings of moss twisted up together. Ground peat is very ancient peat that has decomposed or composted into a nutrient rich material. The former can lower the pH of water, staining it in the process. The latter is a good additive in a thin layer under the substrate. The latter does provide some organic carbon when placed under most of the depth of the substrate, but the former doesn't do that, as far as I know. Of the two you mentioned, the sphagnum peat moss is the nearly alive stuff, and the brown earthy one is the ground peat stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.