The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i don't want to raise a thread for the grave. but I do have a question. would a layer of Peat Moss under a layer of PF sand make a decent substrate for a planted tank?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Layer? No- too much peat will end up with an acid swamp tank (great for breeding Apistos and other acid-loving fish, but not so much for plants LOL)

A light dusting (as in you should still be able to see the bottom of the tank afterwards) can add just a bit of nutrient content, if you want, though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sphagnum peat moss used to be the preferred substrate of choice way back when and has the highest CEC of anything that I know of. I do agree the easiest way would be to mix sphagnum peat moss (lowers pH), potash (for potassium), and Iron Chelate 10% (Fe) together in a bucket and then put a light dusting on the bottom glass before you add the substrate.

That will last a month or two and help speed up your plant growth uptake and your substrates ability to absorb nutrients.

- Brad

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That's OK, the point to the non-fert soil is a safety net, if you break the cap the most that will happen is you get a bit of dirt in your water column for a few hours but if you use fertilized soil you'll get that and an algae bloom.

- Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.