The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone worked with Peat Moss? I'm trying to make a planted tank on a budget. I have some peat moss without fertilizers and was considering trying to use it as a substrate.
Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Not as a standalone substrate, but it can make a great layer in your substrate. My first dirted experiment was crushed lava rock, then a layer of peat moss, then dirt, then the sand cap.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Saturate it then while it's moist cap it. It does a decent job of holding nutrients so root tabs and dosing can help supercharge it. It will also lower your pH certain degree and tint your water with tannins.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
If you are just starting out, don't do it. The short reason: there is no way you can control the rate of decomposition. You will have your hands full with a new tank and unpredictable changes to your water conditions is the last thing you want to deal with.

Instead, look into innert substrates like Black Diamond sand, pool filter sand and so on.

$8 for 50# is hard to beat: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/black-diamond-medium-blasting-abrasives

1 - 5 of 5 Posts