The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have CPDs and I am trying to mimic their natural habitat. Which from my reading is a soft water and a pH around 6.5-6.7. My pH is 7.2 right now. And I have read that peat moss will help slowly lower the pH.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I couldn't find smaller portions and don't have room for the gigantic pallet-size bags of peat moss so I wouldn't know ... but I ordered Hoffman Sphagnum Peat Moss (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBITW) from Amazon. It's been working beautifully in both my Apisto and CRS tanks and lowers my tap water pH from 8.6+ to around or just below neutral.
Do you put this in a bag so particles don't leach out?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use the Eheim tort pellets. Good for about 6 months,don't stain the water yellow and are nice and compact so you don't have any little particles floating around.
I was thinking of using these to cure my hard water but my ph is already at 6.8 would this drop my ph more or just reduce the hardness of the water stabilizing the ph?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.