The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to create a new planted tank, and decided to try using soil substrate. The reason I chose this is because I had awesome growth doing wabi kusa over the summer using a mix of top soil and peat humus.

Anyways, would peat humus be too dangerous for fish? Will it make the water too acidic?

I was going to make this my Endler Livebearer tank, and I know livebearers don't like high acid.

Could I compensate with crushed coral?

·
Registered
334 Posts
what type of top soil?

in my experience with miracle grow organinc, this has a lot of peat in it and will stain the water and make it acidic. If you want fish that prefer non acidic water, I would for sure stay away from straight peat and maybe even topsoils. You could try mineralizing topsoil with a mix of crushed coral or other to counteract the acidity.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jwm5.
I'm using Scott's top soil and some off brand peat humus. I planned on capping with sand.

I'm not worried about the water color. During the cycling process and multiple water changes it should gradually fade. I think I will go with crushed coral in the filter and test the water often. I won't add my endler's until the water parameters meet their needs.

I was hoping someone had some experience with peat humus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.