The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my ich outbreak using the nox-ich at half dose and 87 water temp I just did a big water change and noticed after I did my plants started to pearl any ideas as to why and it only lasted about an hour

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's from the water being saturated of oxygen. When you did the water change you most likely got it from the tap which when it came out pressurized it oxygenated the water. Then when you did a water change, the water became saturated with oxygen. As a result your plants were no longer able to dissolve their oxygen into the water so they produced bubbles, or pearling. This is generally not the same as pearling from high light and co2 but it is technically the same. With very high tech tanks, it's the plants that are saturating the water to max oxygen saturation so then you start to see bubbles after the tank water is saturated.

That's why your tank stopped after an hour, because the water desaturated, and plants were able to dissolve oxygen into the water again.

Bump: One more thing, at high temperatures, water holds less oxygen than at lower temperatures. This could also be why you experienced this for your first time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhh okay that makes sense!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is often called "false pearling". Its not necessarily oxygen. Tap water typically has a lot of dissolved gases (likely a combination of all the atmospheric gasses) in it. This is why some people age/store water to "offgas" or "degas" it before using it in a fish tank. All of that extra dissolved gas creates tiny bubbles and it sort of sticks to everything until it has a chance to offgas and stabilize.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.