108w of t5ho lighting (3wpg ish)
8 hr lighting (reduced from 10)
Ei dosing (heavy)
Drop checker lime green, pressurised co2
Plant stock = dense
160L
External Eheim
2 x Circulation pumps doing 5000lph

Before plants would pearl like crazy every plant streaming with bubbles. Now they just kinda dont. Well there is pearling but much reduced nothing like before.

Im doing 50% water change per week. Hc cuba has only really pearled once or twice and that was when drop checker was yellow?

Why would pearling taper off?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Are the circulation pumps EACH doing 5000 liters per hour? Or combined?

My plants are doing the opposite...they went through a phase of light pearling under the leaves to major league streaming that it looks like I have an aerator running. I think it was because I cleaned my filter, increased circulation (not 5000 liters per hour though haha) and got my nutrients, co2, and lighting just right (or at least the best that I could).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the circulation pumps EACH doing 5000 liters per hour? Or combined?

My plants are doing the opposite...they went through a phase of light pearling under the leaves to major league streaming that it looks like I have an aerator running. I think it was because I cleaned my filter, increased circulation (not 5000 liters per hour though haha) and got my nutrients, co2, and lighting just right (or at least the best that I could).
I have one like wavemaker rated at 4000lph and a 1200 lph powerhead so it doesn't look like 5000 lph lol.

Wierd I love pearling too hope it returns :(

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Just do a water change if you want pearling, it is all about oxygen saturation. High temperatures prevent the water from absorbing a lot of oxygen, so any new oxygen formed in the tank doesn't dissolve into the water and forms bubbles.

As long as the production of oxygen exceeds the amount dissolved (or exceeds the amount that can dissolve into the water in a given period of time) the oxygen will form pearls.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just do a water change if you want pearling, it is all about oxygen saturation. High temperatures prevent the water from absorbing a lot of oxygen, so any new oxygen formed in the tank doesn't dissolve into the water and forms bubbles.

As long as the production of oxygen exceeds the amount dissolved (or exceeds the amount that can dissolve into the water in a given period of time) the oxygen will form pearls.
Yeah I get that but my question was why would I get major major pearling for first 6 weeks then pearling still but not like before?

I have recently increased circulation hugely and reduced lighting by 4 hours is that why?

I should add that I am getting very good growth like im talking an anubias leaf the size of my hand every week and trimming every week

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm very much a noob to llive plants...but I've been learning...less Photosynthesis period (less light) means less oxygen produced...so not as much present in the water. The increased circulation will probably lead to more oxygen being released into the air at the surface. So the combination of less light and more circulation explains perfectly why your plants have stopped pearling. If they are growing great and look healthy, I really wouldn't be worried.

Pearling happens when there is an excess of oxygen in the water...if the fish are using up just enough, then the plants won't pearl. This is an ok condition. Just keep an eye out for other signs of ill-health in your plants as well their growth. If anything else presents then perhaps you have a problem...but I wouldn't assume a problem until there is another sign.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone my tank is doing great tbh and even hc cuba is spreading now just miss the pearling

·
Registered
478 Posts
Add some seltzer to get the bubbles in the tank. :)
However it might mess with the CO2 level in there depending on the amount added.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts