The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I got two pearl Gouramis. One male of female. My question is, do i ABSOLUTELY NEED another female or will the group I have now be good?

Oh yeah! the guy at the fist store said they have a potential to get rather large. I have heard 4-6 inches so i told him so. then then showed me the "returned" tanks whicxh are tanks that hold fish that got to big and where returned. I then saw a huge pearl gourami that was probably 7-8 inches long. how big do they really get?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I seen one up to 8 inches also i thought it was so cute but very big ! lol Good luck. I'm not sure if you will need another female though

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I hope you do indeed have at least one female.
pet shops often fool people into thinking they
get pairs, when in reality you are getting two
males, one just a bit older then the second.
you don't really need another female, it just
increases the odds any female will spawn.

if you post a clear photo of them both
we'd be glad to help confirm their gender.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I am pretty sure I have the gender right. the one has a semi visible red belly and the other does not. I will defiantly be able to tell once they color up a bit. I am a bit worried though. The "Female" has a be of bloody scales on one side. grumble. I always see the bad things after I buy them no matter how long I sit there and look them over in the pet store.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Have you ever seen a Osphrenemis Gourami? there was one at the LFS I used to work at (it's been there for 10-15 yrs I think). That fish is well over a foot long. Pearls get pretty big too, but not as big.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
the red patch is only one indicator, and the lack of red can also mean an immature male.
the other key indicator is the top dorsal fin is oval and swept diagonal toward the rear (male)
or small, round and vertical (female).

please post a photo, we'd like to see your female.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the red patch is only one indicator, and the lack of red can also mean an immature male.
the other key indicator is the top dorsal fin is oval and swept diagonal toward the rear (male)
or small, round and vertical (female).

please post a photo, we'd like to see your female.

they currently don't like me right now. they run away into the plants haha. I will as soon as they calm down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts