The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new favorite fish. I bought three of them a couple of weeks ago. They don't bother the other fish in my community tank, make great centerpiece fish, and a happy discovery. They eat duckweed!

I had about 20% coverage in my 29G. In two weeks they have eaten almost all of it. I keep a coverage of duckweed in a few smaller tanks to filter intense light and keep the water clean so I don't have to change often. But I never know what to do with it when it gets too thick. I hate throwing it away, and I don't want goldfish. So I have been searching for a tropical fish that will eat the stuff. I couldn't find much help in the forums, so I just thought I'd share. I sat there for a while tonight watching them pick the last little bit out of the airline corral I built to try and keep it contained in the bigger tank. They looked so happy and it put a big smile on my face too :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thats sweet! My pearl gourami doesn't touch my duckweed. I have 55 long thats completely covered. My angel fish eat it like crazy. So when I get over run with duckweed I just put some in there tank.

I love my pearl guarmi, shes so peacful. The best looking fish in my 55 gallon as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a pair of pearls gouramis but they don't eat anything in my 60 gallon :(
Sounds cool though!! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
My pearl gourami eats algae off the plants. It's constantly picking at it; and I'm talking about significant chunks, not just little nibbles. This is in addition to eating in a normal and healthy way with the other fish. Bonus!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.