The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously posted about my fish tank and some of my fish randomly dying... Well it wasn't my parameters and the only thing I could think of was my pearl Gouda is which the male had been making the nest already was attacking my other fish.

Well I separated them into a 10 gallon put some live plants in there and now the male keeps attacking the female, he doesn't let her get up and when she does he goes and picks at her and pushes her down. She is missing scales on her top side. She has also started just laying on the floor on her belly.

If anyone can help me out as I don't want her to die.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I'd remove her. It sounds like she's not ready.

I have the opposite situation here. I just got a young male and I had 2 older females already. The male is being bossed around but no fights.
They're in a 75G so there's plenty of room to run and hide.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah when the male is building his nest the female needs lots of places to hide from him. Ideally if you want to mate them you'd only have them together for long enough for them to spawn and then you'd remove the female. If you're not looking to mate, I'd keep the female separate in general.

Also, the males get really territorial when building their nest, so if moving both, put the female in and leave here there for a couple hours before introducing the male so she's establish before he tries to make the whole tank his territory.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a thought--I have no experience w breeding so I can't help you there--but I would also separate the fish if it looks like he may bully her to death--if you don't have another tank to put her in, maybe you could try those "tank dividers/separators" the sell at fish stores...? They're transparent and they have vents for water circulation. Cheap too. I've seen people use them to keep male Bettas apart from each other; maybe they would help in your situation...and would keep the female nearby and safe until they're both in synch with each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts