The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to keep some peacock gudgeons, the cute little colorful, (they say) easy-to-keep, expensive fish. But since a single pair is $16 here, I'd like to get some advice before spending that amount of money. But since they site says they're "Hot", I have to make a quick decision.
First, do they really breed as readily as most sourses say? I can only afford1 pair, and if I can rally convince my parents, two pairs(they only sell them in pairs)
Second, do they have any special needs? I was thinking about a 30 gallon tank with dwarf rainbowfish, ancistrus catfish and some apple snails, along with hardy plants and barnacles, terracotta cichid caves and rocks as hiding places. The water is also hard, do you think it would be harmful for them?
Last, do any of you guys have personal experiances on these buggers? I like hearing personal experiance, it makes me feel better:red_mouth

Any feedback will be greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
that sounds like a very heavily stocked 30 gallon. Dwarf rainbows aren't all that small.. and ancistrus catfish are actually big for a 30 gallon.. think clown cats maybe.. ottos even better.

apple snails are also big for your tank ( I have a 30 gallon).. and my bristlenose pleco really is a bull in the china shop.

not sure about the gudgeons, but as for the rest, you may wnat to think a little smaller for your tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As long as you don't lose either one, a single pair is ok. Unfortunately the ones sold around here almost always develop fungus...but if you get healthy ones they're great. Be prepared to feed live and frozen foods. Also, if you're interested in breeding them i'd avoid catfish and other bottom-dwellers that might impinge upon their territory and caves.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got a pair of these I think these are the most amazing fish ive seen. I saw them once in one of those back ally fish stores with nothing but over priced items and all the same fish you could get at petco. Yet they were there and i didn't buy them, and as is the case when you dont buy you never see them again. i think it has been at least 6-7 years and now i found them and bought them all. No losses and just amazing color!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.