The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up supposedly 10 in the bag but there was another little one in there so 11 total. I'm debating where to put them. Right now I have them in a breeder box. The largest one is alittle over a inch long. I'm thinking of putting them in my 55g which right now houses 3 different varieties of cories (panda, pygmy, and smudge spot), BN plecos (brown and albino), otos, and a trio of guppies with a ton of fry.

Would the 55g be good for the Peacock Gudgeons?

I was going to feed them flake food but I also have brine shrimp. I've read they eat blackworms, earthworms, and microworms.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I would recommend keeping them in a smaller tank and monitor their eating habits. Some of them tend to be more finicky than others and may not accept the prepared foods.

·
Registered
273 Posts
These are my favorite fish!
You def want them in a tank with fish that won't eat their babies, give them some caves to spawn in and over time they'll breed regularly for you. I used to have a 55 gal tank with only PG in it and had all different age classes in it from adults to adolescent to fry it was so cool.
I've never had trouble feeding them flake food.
The males are easy to spot with their bulbous heads and even the young are pretty colorful!
In fact I still have some they've survived some pretty bad conditions with power outages and all and are still healthy, no babies lately though :-(
Have fun and take pics!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would recommend keeping them in a smaller tank and monitor their eating habits. Some of them tend to be more finicky than others and may not accept the prepared foods.
First off thanks you two for the responses. These are one of my favorites too. I've never kept these a year ago a LFS that's an hour from me had some, but when I went they were all out. I bought these at a local aquarium society auction. I was totally shocked when I seen these were there.

I guess I could house them in my 10g with my RCS and guppies. Would they be fine in there? All ten of them?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think that may be a bit crowded. The males are somewhat territorial. I guess a good heavy planting with lots of places to hide. They are pretty adaptable though I had 7 in a 10 gallon and they survived quite a few calamities ! I now have 3 in 1 ten gallon and 2 each in 2 5 gallons.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The overcrowded issue in a 10g with the 10g and guppies, was the one reason why I was thinking of putting them in my 55g. I didn't get time to spend on time on the tanks yesterday besides feeding everyone. I'm thinking of getting a frozen food for them today.

·
Registered
273 Posts
After rereading your first post I say go for it in the 55 gallon, the only fish that would eat PG fry are the guppies and they are mostly surface dwellers (so to speak0 the PG fry usually stay towards the bottom. I think they'll be happier and you'll get to enjoy their antics much more as they choose territories and such!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ya after I posted the OP. I looked into the 110 where I had the breeder with the PGs in I looked at the bottom of the tank and seen one of the larger (1 inch) PG swimming so then I just ended up freaking out and putting them in the 55g.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts