The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there again. My 1.7 year old male Opaline Gourami I've had in with several different fish and he has always been very sweet and gentle. A couple weeks ago he got an injury on his tail and he's now fully recovered, about a solid week. But yesterday after I fed the tank, he started some aggression! He has kept up being mean and chasing off his Platy tank mates today. He's never been mean, not even to tiny fry, always calm and using his feelers[pectoral fins] and just meandering around. But now he darts and chaises everyone away. Only new thing in his tank is a 12in bubble wand. It almost seems like he is protecting them. I've just this moment realized this. I don't know, is it because he thinks they are eggs or a bubble nest?? I'm planing an upgrade in tanks soon. But wondering if it's stressful or detrimental to his health to be so uptight and grumpy over the bubbles.
Any insight?

·
Registered
37 Posts
How big is he, and how large is his tank...? I can't claim any expertise, but in my personal experience, gouramis can be aggressive. I've got a big pearl gourami who is about 5" long (named Captain Shackleton bc he's lived through everything), and he's definitely the king of the castle.

I was told that gouramis are generally shy and timid fish, but now I am skeptical of that description. Usually mine is mellow, not too active, just hanging out around the surface. But if another fish invades his "personal space"--especially at feeding time--he does chase them away. Danios, harlequin rasboras, even wimpy neons, you name it. I've never seen him eat or assault another fish, though. But he will chase them away.

I introduced a dwarf honey gourami one time who was indeed very placid. Shackleton resented her presence, for whatever reason, and she spent most of her time hiding. She died. Of course, I cannot be sure why, but I wouldn't be surprised if bullying and stress were contributing factors.

I once had a powder blue gourami. He was small, but a total jerk to all of the smaller fish--and the tank was very understocked at the time, so it wasn't due to crowding stress.

No idea if the bubble wand is triggering this behavior in your fish--maybe you could try removing it, and seeing if that makes a difference? One would think that a gourami could make the distinction between mechanical bubbles and those made by himself or another (potentially rival male) gourami....but then again, they're fish, they have pretty limited programming, if you know what I mean.

But I just wanted to let you know that gourami aggression happens (at least with mine).

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a blue gourami, the opaline is a variant of it.

He's always been calm, until my tiger barbs began acting up. The blue gourami asserted himself and is generally left alone now, though I do see him chasing barbs on occasion. Thing is, blue & opaline gouramis are not peaceful, they are semi aggressive. I wouldn't keep one with platys.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts