The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 5 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank, both planted and cycled. I want to get a betta for one and a pea puffer for the other.
I am on the fence with pea puffers and hope someone out there owns them to answer.
So many people say to just get one, which would mean the 5 gallon.
Others say to get 3, but risk the chance of fighting, babies and needing to get another tank.
I used to have saltwater puffers, didn't mind hand feeding or the extra care involved. It was worth it for their personalities.
I've done a ton of research but also have a hard time taking a vulnerable species from the wild. Is anyone breeding in captivity and selling yet?
All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im not super experienced with them, but i have kept them before. When i kept them i had a 10 gallon with 3 puffers, and they all got a long great. There wasn’t any fighting and everyone got along. I’m not sure if I was just lucky, but i did have 1 male and 2 females. They are now in my community 30 gallon tank, that’s infested with feeder pond snails and they don’t bother anyone. They just cruise around eating snails, i haven’t seen any fin nipping of aggression at all. Once again i might be lucky, but i did talk with my LFS and they said they keep them in community tanks as well and don’t have an issue, so that could be a possible backup option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not super experienced with them, but i have kept them before. When i kept them i had a 10 gallon with 3 puffers, and they all got a long great. There wasn’t any fighting and everyone got along. I’m not sure if I was just lucky, but i did have 1 male and 2 females. They are now in my community 30 gallon tank, that’s infested with feeder pond snails and they don’t bother anyone. They just cruise around eating snails, i haven’t seen any fin nipping of aggression at all. Once again i might be lucky, but i did talk with my LFS and they said they keep them in community tanks as well and don’t have an issue, so that could be a possible backup option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've heard the ideal is to buy one male and two females and there won't be aggression. Some people say that even with two males in a 10 gallon it's not a guarantee they will nip. I don't have a LFS who has anything like this so I would have to order online. Did yours ever breed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.