The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. Unless it was a PK Betta.

I once put two small Kribs in my betta's tank, he had nearly no fins in no time :(

Pea puffers are probably worse, choose one or the other.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I will just keep my betta in my 2.5, and put the 3 DPs in my 5.5 gallon, and I might as well throw in some ghost shrimp to act as cleaners/food, any good fish mates that would be good with them? I know otos but IDK if there will be enough algae

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
5.5 is way too small for 3 puffers, even dwarfs. Put that many together in that small a tank is irresponsible, please do not do it.

From www.dwarfpuffers.com

"Even though they are small in size, dwarves need roughly 5 gallons per fish to have adequate space. They will become aggressive to one another if cramped too tightly together. They also become more aggressive as they age, particularly with sexual maturity. Make sure to keep this in mind when choosing your tank size as well as stocking it."

And no, they DO NOT get along with bettas, or practically any other fish, and the ghosts will become fast puffer food likely.

"Dwarf Puffers are definitely not community fish and are best kept in a small species setup."

Please do some reading before you get these.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I absolutely second every single word in rich's post! It's good you are asking here before you buy. That puffer website is a great read and will tell you everything you need to know.

Get one puffer for the tank and keep him alone. They hate company anyway, so they won't be lonely. Puffers are smart and fun and can actually become your "buddies." But they have a worse character than Darth Vader.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
well i want to have SOMETHING else in there with them, and at the store, they had them in a tank roughly the size of a 2.5 gallon and they were all together not fighting or anything
At Thanksgiving we had 30 people in my house, but we don't live together.

If you want to have SOMETHING Else in there then do not get a puffer. It's simple as that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I'm just gonna get one now, but I wanted to know if bettas would do well w/ the DPs, and after researching on the website, I found that they can do 3 gallons per fish, but I'm just going to get one with some shrimp for it to eat or something

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah but a 5.5 is not large enough for a goby and a puffer. If there was more space, say, a 10 gallon, then the DP might not pick on the goby. But in such a small space it will get harassed. Puffers are active and like to explore...they also get bored easily and are simply very aggressive. A 5.5 gallon is simply just not large enough for more than just one DP. They prefer to be alone.

Think logically, you don't want to spend all this money on the setup and the fish only to have them die, do you?

·
Registered
89 Posts
i had a dwarf puffer in my 26 gallon bowfront and he did really good. i had a big blue gouranmi and he chased the puffer around at first. then after that the puffer never messed with anything. but i wouldent put a puffer in a 5 gallon.They like high protein blood worms beer heart and that would get the 5 gallon all dirty and it really isent much space.He mite be alright it there by himself but hed be bored. better off with a group of neons or cardinal tetras id think.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.