The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel like your pants (And by pants I mean underwear!) are being pulled down when your paying money, more often then not a large sum of money, for wood and rocks that people have probably just found somewhere haha?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Um, no. There are in many things multiple ways to go and paying for convenience and easy choice will often be one of those ways. People take time and money to collect and ship stuff. Restaurants charge you 4x the value of the food just to sit there and eat it. This is the way things work, and you always can opt out and DIY.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Anyone else feel like your pants (And by pants I mean underwear!) are being pulled down when your paying money, more often then not a large sum of money, for wood and rocks that people have probably just found somewhere haha?
Uh, NO! But I do sometimes get really p.o.'d at folks who complain about not being able to find wood and still complain about the price. I live in an area where wood and rocks are all over the ground but there are some who frown when I go get it and ask them $5 for an afternoon of searching.
Others love the service so I guess it takes all sorts!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think any one will agree with this. people that gather these thing don't have to spend time and money on gas doing anything for other people especially ungrateful people. If it weren't for them doing this just think of the limits you would have on stuff. If you order pieces online you cant even pick and choose. They jus send you something and you have to like it. I would much rather Support members on this forum then some company.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Nope, not at all. The person selling the item invested "sweat equity" in collecting the items in which they are selling. They ultimately decide on what they think is a fair value for the time invested in collecting the items. That is wealth creation. Raw materials + time = product.

Now on your end, you can choose if your income "sweat equity" is worth the value placed on someone else "sweat equity" if so, make a transaction, if not look for someone selling a like item that meets your perceived value.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If I felt right about selling rocks and sticks for large sums I would do it too. Sure people go and collect the stuff but really some of the asking prices are just ridiculous.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I drive 40 minutes to my property in this.

Then I climb a big mountain to get to the layers of rocks carry back down 50 or so pounds at a time till I give up. Then I buy acid at 2.50 a gallon from my work. Then I treat said rock with acid. Wash it, dry it, weight it out in good looking groups, take photos of it, list it. For a $1.50 just because. : P

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Driftwood is a hell of a lot cheaper buying it local than taking a trip to malaysia, getting ill, paying customs and getting home. It's simply a convenience charge. I like to get paid for my time, and they have to ship it, someone else has to receive and distribute.

Adam

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I agree with all the others. There is a cost for collection etc.

That said cost does not always equal production cost + profit margin. Say I need $10/hr. Said rock cost me $5 to find and ship. If it takes me one hour to find it, list it, ship it etc that's $15. If others are charging $50 for the same rock and getting it should I charge $15? Sometimes price = costs + required profit + Why should I lose out?. Welcome to the real world. ;)

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I agree with all the others. There is a cost for collection etc.

That said cost does not always equal production cost + profit margin. Say I need $10/hr. Said rock cost me $5 to find and ship. If it takes me one hour to find it, list it, ship it etc that's $15. If others are charging $50 for the same rock and getting it should I charge $15? Sometimes price = costs + required profit + Why should I lose out?. Welcome to the real world. ;)
Or, charge $40, loose some profit margin but, dominate market share. :wink:

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I find what we read about how prices are set is often better left in the books. Does anybody in the real world actually go about setting price based on what it costs to produce the item plus a small markup for profit? What I find almost universal is that prices are set by what people feel they can get by selling the item.
So I went out today and spent 11/2 hours wandering around looking over the wood and came home with four items that appeal to me and I think should appeal to other people who like wood in their tanks. Add in the travel time and expense, plus the cleaning and soaking and the wood should sell for $25-30 each?
Got to smile at jokes like that!

I normally try to cover the gas and get enough to not look like a complete fool and feel good if I get that done! You sell it for what you can get out of it and have to eat the rest or call it fun!

·
Registered
339 Posts
We can break down the economy of retrieving anything right down to the cost of food for the collectors caloric intake for the day.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Surprised no one mentioned the location of the OP?

OP's located in the UK, everything is going to be almost 2x the price just based on shipping cost, export/import fees alone.

Don't you guys who trek out into the woods/mountains come across rattlesnakes, and other poisonous creatures where you find those unique pieces? Not even going to mention the musKeetoZ.

Always afraid one day the dogs are going to get bit or sprayed by skunks when they run ahead of us.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think you are paying for convenience. Actually finding unique wood and rocks can take a lot of searching, cleaning, etc. I've found it quite difficult and I live between two lakes and a handful of rivers. Most sellers have already done their homework to make sure it is safe for your tank as well. I guess buying these items is like buying anything else.. shop around.

·
Registered
333 Posts
OP's located in the UK, everything is going to be almost 2x the price just based on shipping cost, export/import fees alone.

Don't you guys who trek out into the woods/mountains come across rattlesnakes, and other poisonous creatures where you find those unique pieces? Not even going to mention the musKeetoZ.

Always afraid one day the dogs are going to get bit or sprayed by skunks when they run ahead of us.
Summer is coming! The rivers are nice, but the woods are hot and full of everything that bites. And sprays! :icon_lol:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have to fight a grizzly bear every time I go get rocks for you guys. True story

1 - 20 of 27 Posts