The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy some cherry shrimp. i already have ghost shrimp in the tank, do u think they will inter-breed? and how many shrimp is too many for a 10 gallon? haha. thx guys!
:iamwithst

·
Registered
249 Posts
They won't breed but Ghosts are pretty aggressive and can def take down Cherry babies. Not sure if they go after adults but I don't think so. Anyway, if you do keep them together make sure the ratio of cherry:ghost is high. Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
You didn't notice the numbers in [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her sig?

Be ready for the "Final Season" (6) in a few months..

As for the shrimp, I would rather have cherries alone, than with ghosts.

I had read somewhere not to exceed 50 shrimp in a 10G, but that sounds like an awful lot of shrimp for the space in a 10G. I should have my Cherries arriving today and I will have to split them amongst 4 tanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had read somewhere not to exceed 50 shrimp in a 10G, but that sounds like an awful lot of shrimp for the space in a 10G. I should have my Cherries arriving today and I will have to split them amongst 4 tanks.
You can have way more shrimp than that in a 10g. If your colony gets prolific you will have a tank with over a hundred adults and easily 200 babies at any given time. Shrimp aren't big waste makers so can easily be kept with high numbers....as long as you are regular in water changes and get the debris that will build up in their eating spots.

As for the shrimp, I would rather have cherries alone, than with ghosts
Not mixing your shrimp I think is spot on advice. Plus its an excuse to set up another 10 gallon tank. Make sure to use a sponge filter or some sort of sponge to block your filter intake or you will never see your babies.

Now after all that, I can send you 30 cherries for $26.00 shipped which would come priority with breather bags, insulation, and confirmation. LMK in pm if this interest you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can have way more shrimp than that in a 10g. If your colony gets prolific you will have a tank with over a hundred adults and easily 200 babies at any given time.
That is very good to know. I just received and have been acclimating my shrimp. I ordered 60 and it looks like I got about 5-10 extras. I will start with about 20-25 in my 2.5 (office) and take the other 40-50 to my 5.5 (home). I set these tanks up so I could house shrimp at both locations and transfer some to the bigger tanks (10G-office, 50G-home) as they breed.

Thanks for the advice, it means I will not have to put shrimp into my tanks with cardinal tetras right off the bat. This way I can try a few shrimp over a little while and make sure the Cardinals leave them alone.

That said, Jeremy's offer is very reasonable, I would strongly urge you to consider it. I waited for a while to buy my first shrimp and did not see an offer quite that good in the last few weeks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dream2MkBlve i know! it's a sin how long they make us wait between seasons!!

DevinWolfe 'him' is a 'her' :) and yes i can't wait!

maybe i should wait to get the cherries until i have my 55 gallon in december. because i have like 25 ghost shrimp in the 10 gallon right now. i don't want them destroying the cherries!! thanks for all your help guys!

LONG LIVE LOST! haha

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have more than 50 shrimp in my 6-gallon - along with 5 adult endlers and 5 fry. Shrimp have an amazingly small bioload considering their diet.

Also, shrimp won't overpopulate a region they can't expand out of. When the tank/oxygen/food sources/water quality can't support more shrimp, they simply stop breeding for a while.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a sand substrate, 10 Gallon tank that's HEAVILY planted, covered in mosses, dwarf water lettuce, and frogbit. I just ADDED four Otocinclus Cats and 31 RCS to an established group of about 15-20 juvies and adults. I still have trouble finding any significant number of them at any one time. The tank's loaded with Ram's Horn, MTS, and a couple large Mystery Snails. I'm filtering with a HOB that uses an Aquaclear Sponge for the intake and a sponge filter that's rated for 10G alone.

I don't think that'll I'll start removing shrimp until I hit the 125-150 range.

I would NOT mix Ghost Shrimp with RCS. GS can be reallly aggressive at times and being long armed shrimp they will catch and eat RCS fry. GS have been known to attack and devour each other so I doubt that they wouldn't take an adult RCS from time to time.

Sark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts