The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The scientific name is Myriophyllum aquaticum. There are very limited references on the care for this plant. One link I found is from Buce plants. This plant seems to be preferred for emersed setups and for ponds. There are regions where this plant is prohibited since it’s an invasive species.

The plant does have a nice leaf texture and arrangement of leaves on the stem. The color of this plant is almost blue green and very unique. Do any one have experience in growing this plant in planted tanks. Does it grow too fast in a high energy setup and out compete the other plants in the background? Let me know if anyone here has experience with this plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I've grown it, but don't have a lot of input one way or the other. It's one of those that grows like Kudzu though -fast growing but leggy. You can just about watch it growing. It took over my pond one year with no care on my end at all. Only hornwort has done that, at least that I can think of. And I throw stems in the pond every year. It is a very pretty color, and if it didn't grow stemmy and fill out best towards the surface I'd probably still have it in my tanks. Wish you were in the US and I'd send you some to try. My guess is, you'd be disenchanted with it after a while in an aquarium setting. The old guy who ran the aquarium store I bought it from said as much, but I think this might be the plant he described as a pretty redhead with a drinking problem. At first it seems to fill the needs you have but after a while you are just happy it's all gone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True. Have planted it in my tank. The coloration and leaf pattern is very unique, it does grow fast but leggy as you say.

Will try switching it for some other fine leafed background stem that says green. I had originally wanted to go for myriophyllum mattogrossense, but went ahead with parrots feather - myriophyllum aquaticum instead due to unavailability of the mattogrossense

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I had it in two tanks. Got it from a pond at garden center. Didn't do very well for me. In my heated, artificially lit tank it was leggy and unattractive. In my window-lit unheated tank, the emerged pieces looked good the first year, are rather thinned out now. I planted some pieces in the substrate too, they have very fine leaves kind of nice but hasn't filled in enough to be noticeable.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very leggy and unsightly. I am unable to grow this plant correctly.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I had this for about a week in my 55 gallon. In that week it grew from one end all the way to the other. Unmanageable growth aside, the plant wasn't growing very aesthetically pleasing, parts of it would just start growing without any leaves, just a stem and it would randomly branch off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts