The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 37G at work. We currently have a royal pleco, two bosemani rainbows, and a Paratilapia Polleni. As the polleni has grown, he has obviously gotten more aggressive.

What are some more compatible tank mates for this polleni?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Royal pleco and Polleni alone are a load for 37 gal as Adult's.IMHO
I kept the Polleni with five adult Synodontis multipunctatus and one adult Raphael catfish in 75 gal for nearly two year's and the waste they created meant twice weekly 50 % water changes to keep nitrates below 40ppm.
Polleni is not all that mean as far as cichlid's go,but anything smaller than it is likely to be harassed or killed outright.
Fish larger or same size would in my view mean a larger tank, or waste created by them will work to deteriorate the water quality= sickly fish .
One convict,and maybe one firemouth, or one blue acara (not all three) could possibly work in 37 gal but weekly water change of 50% would be mandatory in my view.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Royal pleco and Polleni alone are a load for 37 gal as Adult's.IMHO
I kept the Polleni with five adult Synodontis multipunctatus and one adult Raphael catfish in 75 gal for nearly two year's and the waste they created meant twice weekly 50 % water changes to keep nitrates below 40ppm.
Polleni is not all that mean as far as cichlid's go,but anything smaller than it is likely to be harassed or killed outright.
Fish larger or same size would in my view mean a larger tank, or waste created by them will work to deteriorate the water quality= sickly fish .
One convict,and maybe one firemouth, or one blue acara (not all three) could possibly work in 37 gal but weekly water change of 50% would be mandatory in my view.
Thanks for the input! I do weekly 50% water changes already, and its heavily planted which helps filter as you know. Ill look into your suggestions! Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.