The Planted Tank Forum banner

Parasitic/Bacterial/Fungal advice please.

1540 7
some tank info:
10 Gallon Tank
Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrates - usually around 20 but can hit 40 before a water change
Ph- about 7-7.2, GH/KH - not sure. test strips are weird. haven't bought liquid yet.
Substrate - eco complete
Plants - 2 Anubias, 1 small/trimmed water sprite, growing dwarf hairgrass carpet (about 30% grown)
CO2 @ 1bps (using drop checker so levels are good)
filter - fluval 206
Lighting- Current Sattelite pro plus. 8hr lighting @ 65%. 2% power on rgb through night.
Temp- kept between 78-80, using eheim 50w tru temp.
stock- 4 female betta, 2 nerite snails, 1 ghost shrimp, 1 otocinclus (added yesterday)
tank has been up 3 months.
unfortunately I never set up a QT tank. (I know I should have)

Now for my current issue.
In the last 3 weeks I have added a juvenile albine bristlenose pleco (died after 6 days). took it as a loss on just got a bad fish. last week I went and bought a juvenile starlight bristlenose pleco (died 5 days later). I chalked it up to poor fish from the store since they both came from the same place. I know they are both going to be too big for a 10g. I planned to move them to my 75 gallon later when they grew another inch or so (they were only about 1.5"). Otherwise everyone had been doing fine. This morning during feeding time I noticed one of my Betta hiding in the back corner at the top of the tank. she has moved around off and on, but primarily has remained either under or on an anubias leaf, or towards the back of the tank at the top of the filter tube. fins staying somewhat closed but occasionally open up. she is not eating and seems disengaged from everything. I do not see any discoloration or lesions. Normally all four of them just cruise in and out of the plants and everyone come to breakfast. my thinking is I may have brought in either a parasite or bacteria of some sort with the pleco's.

I have begun treating with Microbe-Lift Herbtana and Artemiss, never used them but thought I would give it a try. Anyone have any thoughts or insights towards what the issue could be.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
How are the bettas doing?

Are the water parameters today or in general? I would be interested to see if they are different today than normal.

How are your CO2 levels? Might I suggest to turn it off/down while the fish recover? Normally, betta fish can breathe air, but if the poor babies are sickly, make the water as safe for them as possible. This will also rule out any CO2 bursts that could cause problems.

I normally try to do a Meth. Blue dip when I get scared. That way I can remove the fish, dip her, and then watch her in the quarentine tank to rinse her off. Worst case, she is pissy. Best case, you remove some of the toxic fungus/parasites.

Good luck!

Do you have pictures of the sickly bettas?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.