The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased some Red Cherries from the Sales Forum, everything arrived promptly/safely.

Unfortunately after adding them to the tank I noticed many of the shrimp have a white "fuzz" on their heads. After doing some research I think they are infected with a parasite called Vorticella Parasite.

I've decided to use No Planaria to try and rid the shrimp of this parasite.

What are your experiences with this parasite and what did you to resolve the issue?

Also, some of the shrimp seem to have white flesh showing where the head meets the body, I haven't really been able to find anything on this, is this normal? I can take a picture if need be. It looks like a separation from the head and body.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
That's Scutariella japonica (head worms). Not the same as Vorticella (fuzzy little growths)
Database of shrimps diseases, symptons and treatments

It's very easy to treat. A quick salt dip usually cures it almost instantly. Look it up and see the recommended directions for treating. The "No Planaria" I believe will work, but I personally would just do the salt dips, if that doesn't work, then use the med.

The white "flesh" where the head meets the body, sounds like the shrimp is trying to molt (shed it's old shell/exoskeleton). If you water parameters are not suitable for the shrimp, the shrimp may have an unsuccessful molt and die. Red Cherry Shrimp are pretty hardy/adaptable, but still can be good to know your GH, KH and even the pH, TDS and temperature. If you have the test kits then test, if not, just wait on it, see if the shrimp can molt successfully or not, if there are deaths, definitely get test kits to see what may be going wrong.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, water parameters should pretty much be perfect. I use Distilled re mineralized with Salty Shrimp GH+.

PH 6.8-7.0
GH 6*
KH 2*
TDS 160ppm

It's probably like you said, the shrimp are about to Molt. I originally was going to go with a salt dip but more than 50% of the shrimp are effected.... Also the tank is HEAVILY planted so it would be impossible for me to catch them all.

Thanks for the info!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well KH is carbonates (bicarbonates) which is necessary for proper shell/exoskeleton health (molting too). Invert shells are composed of Calcium Carbonate. pH does matter too though (Hydrogen atoms), more complicated, but not usually an issue unless you have low pH, especially with co2.

RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) are very adaptable and many have kept them in CRS (Crystal Red Shrimp) water parameters. CRS are more sensitive than RCS, so to keep the two together, the water params would need to be more geared toward the CRS range. The RCS can adapt, but just note that breeding rates and general health will favor the shrimp species that the water parameters better suit, so the RCS wouldn't be breeding as happily in CRS water params as they would in in their own preference range.

Tiger shrimp (Caridinas) are better suited to being housed with RCS since Tigers like water parameters closer to Neocaridinas (RCS).

Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

The 2 dKH should be fine, even 1 dKH might be, not the preferred KH for RCS, but they should be able to cope.

For CRS, you might consider some acidic buffering (active) substrate to keep things stable in the acidic pH range. Just better success and less worry that way. You could just use remineralized RO water, with just tannin sources, but slightly less stable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.