The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed hundreds of little brown bugs shaped like ants(multiple legs and body split into 2-3 parts)that sit right above the water line. None have gone under the water. They are brown and jump when I try to wipe them up but are not flea shaped and under a magnifying glass they have 2 antennas and around 6 legs. And they are very very tiny my husband can't see them but I can. Any help? What are they?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm worried still :( they jump like fleas its creepy

·
Registered
605 Posts
They are called springtails (order Collembola). They are completely harmless. You might be able to kill them with a hair dryer, especially if you have a rimless tank.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the try. I looked them up and none of the stages or types of them look like the ones in my tank. Also too large. But I appreciate the input :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried they are too small the camera doesnt even pick up dots :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Similar but the body is much much flatter and a darker color.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did and they looked nothing alike they look a little like the ones zdnet posted but definately not the same. I saw that they could be aphids that sometimes occur near floating plants but they are much smaller than what aphids are supposed to measure at. Any other guesses? I worry because a majority of my plants are imported from singapore.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may do that I have some excel I don't use since I got jungle vals and apparently it melts them. I'll let you know the results. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.