The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost several guppies recently, couldn't figure out why... just lost one more, but this one seems to have several of these attached to her corpse:

They look like leeches, and I'm sure it's possible they were in some blackworms, living in the substrate and only attached to feed on her dead body... but can anyone tell for sure if it caused the deaths? And if I should be worried about the baby guppies in the tank?

Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, now that I see one cruising along the glass, it moves more like planaria... smooth, constant motion, no inchworm-like crawling that I associate with leeches... but so big?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Planaria for sure.

I have quite a few in my little overgrown 10 gallon betta tank. The tank has run for a long time without rescape, and homed many different fish. Every time there was a death, you'd see planaria hollow out a corpse within a day - very similar to a fish death with assassin snails in the tank.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You can try making a DIY trap with an api test vial and some air tubing to catch them. There are a bunch of videos online showing you how to make them. Or dose the tank with dog dewormer. I've done both. The dewormer absolutely murders them. Or just eliminate their food source by keeping the tank extra clean and free from leftover food and decaying plant matter and there numbers will drop. They are pretty harmless but have been known to kill shrimp and small fish.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not worried about planaria, I'll let them be. Was just afraid it might have been a parasite of some kind since I have no idea what killed off those guppies...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.