The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a thought on reduction in PAR due to 1/4" of standard glass? I have a sheet of glass on top of my 60-P to reduce evaporation. I'm debating between two light fixtures and a guess at how much PAR I'll lose to the glass would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Anybody have a thought on reduction in PAR due to 1/4" of standard glass? I have a sheet of glass on top of my 60-P to reduce evaporation. I'm debating between two light fixtures and a guess at how much PAR I'll lose to the glass would be helpful.

Thanks!
Hi jmhart,

I responded to a similar question on another forum about this subject and the results I got from a PAR meter. The results were interesting. It was a standard 30 gallon (36" length) with an 2X36 watt (6700K) AH Supply kit over a Aqueon Versa-Top (3/16" clear glass). With new bulbs and no glass top the PAR = 110; with cleaned Versa-Top in place PAR = 101; with "dirty"* Versa-Top in place PAR = 96. All readings were taken with new bulbs @ substrate level about 13 inches below the fixture. If the glass is clear, I don't believe the difference in thickness will impact the results substantially.

*dirty = lots of dried water spots on top; some "etching"; condensation; dust

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jmhart,

I responded to a similar question on another forum about this subject and the results I got from a PAR meter. The results were interesting. It was a standard 30 gallon (36" length) with an 2X36 watt (6700K) AH Supply kit over a Aqueon Versa-Top (3/8" clear glass). With new bulbs and no glass top the PAR = 110; with cleaned Versa-Top in place PAR = 101; with "dirty"* Versa-Top in place PAR = 96. All readings were taken with new bulbs @ substrate level about 13 inches below the fixture. If the glass is clear, I don't believe the difference in thickness will impact the results substantially.

Very helpful. Thank you. Great contribution to the community!

I really appreciate the variables you accounted for. Normal state for me would likely be dirty glass.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Very helpful. Thank you. Great contribution to the community!

I really appreciate the variables you accounted for. Normal state for me would likely be dirty glass.
lol, how do you think I got the 'dirty' reading??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Seattle. Your results are exactly in line with our experience. When light passes through glass, you are going to have two losses from Fresnel reflections. We typically use a 4% Fresnel loss estimate per side of glass (8% total for clean glass), which is exactly what you calculated. Nice :)

Nick

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Hi jmhart,

I responded to a similar question on another forum about this subject and the results I got from a PAR meter. The results were interesting. It was a standard 30 gallon (36" length) with an 2X36 watt (6700K) AH Supply kit over a Aqueon Versa-Top (3/8" clear glass). With new bulbs and no glass top the PAR = 110; with cleaned Versa-Top in place PAR = 101; with "dirty"* Versa-Top in place PAR = 96. All readings were taken with new bulbs @ substrate level about 13 inches below the fixture. If the glass is clear, I don't believe the difference in thickness will impact the results substantially.

Your lid is 3/8"?

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Your lid is 3/8"?
Hi xmas_one,

Correction, thank you xmas-one....my 36" Versa-Top is 3/16" thick; my 20" Versa-Top is 1/4" thick. Hadn't had my coffee this morning when I measured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts