The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's considering medium light? Read the posts here one says it's 30-50 while another says 70 to 150. :icon_conf Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. Anyway what type of light would 2x 14w spiral CFLs give me? My hood has 2 bulb bases in the middle. The bulbs will be in a horizontal position.

This is the bulb I'm considering.
http://www.amazon.com/TCP-TruStart-...UTF8&qid=1355730997&sr=8-5&keywords=tcp+6500k

The light is 12in from the substrate. It's for a 15 gallon tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
35 - 50 mmol per square inch of PAR would be considered medium light. Not sure where you got the 70 - 150 mmol per square inch numbers from.

Any reflectors?

I would say medium light, given that you are mounting it horizontally, and the likelihood that you don't have a good reflector, etc (loss of light due to restrike).

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
What's considering medium light? Read the posts here one says it's 30-50 while another says 70 to 150. :icon_conf Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. Anyway what type of light would 2x 14w spiral CFLs give me? My hood has 2 bulb bases in the middle. The bulbs will be in a horizontal position.

This is the bulb I'm considering.
http://www.amazon.com/TCP-TruStart-...UTF8&qid=1355730997&sr=8-5&keywords=tcp+6500k

The light is 12in from the substrate. It's for a 15 gallon tank.
Hi rollinghills,

What size aquarium; what depth to the substrate?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi rollinghills,

In my low tech, non-CO2 10 gallon I use 2X 10 watt cfl with good results. I do dose Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Seachem Flourish Excel as a carbon source.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Look at the meters reading/ units. Looks like it isn't in inches
PAR is usually measured in umol per metre squared per second; the PAR meters in i4x4nMore's and Hoppy's post are measured in the same units.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.