The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm modeling LED spectra & intensity for designing new lighting for my 200g. My goal is a full spectrum build using Luxeon M's, violet, blue, green, and far red (660 nm) LED's. I'm wondering how to calculate PAR for a given spectral output.

Right now, my spreadsheet gives me output in watts per nm. It's easy enough to go from watts at a specific wavelength to micromoles... I'm just wondering if there's a table of proportionalities/percentages for each wavelength of light (for instance, green wavelength is less efficient, so do I multiply the micromoles at 510 nm by 0.50?)

And yes, I know all about action spectra and stuff. In my real life I teach spectroscopy. ;)

Thanks much!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello,

I'm modeling LED spectra & intensity for designing new lighting for my 200g. My goal is a full spectrum build using Luxeon M's, violet, blue, green, and far red (660 nm) LED's. I'm wondering how to calculate PAR for a given spectral output.

Right now, my spreadsheet gives me output in watts per nm. It's easy enough to go from watts at a specific wavelength to micromoles... I'm just wondering if there's a table of proportionalities/percentages for each wavelength of light (for instance, green wavelength is less efficient, so do I multiply the micromoles at 510 nm by 0.50?)

And yes, I know all about action spectra and stuff. In my real life I teach spectroscopy. ;)

Thanks much!
Talk with Evilc66 from nano-reef.com. He is an LED wizard, and produces a line of reef LEDs. He is the go-to LED guy for thousands of coral freaks (and the author of MANY LED stickies). I'm sure he can answer your question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.