The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would an Apogee sensor be the recommended type? Do I need to get the meter, or will any multimeter work? I've read that you just hook up the leads an multiply the mV reading by 5.0 to get the PAR measurement.

I'm thinking of getting a SQ-120 Electric sensor only. Good plan?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You can read it with a sensitive multimeter. I think it was 2 millivolts/par unit. You have the cut the sensor cable to get the +- wires.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can read it with a sensitive multimeter. I think it was 2 millivolts/par unit. You have the cut the sensor cable to get the +- wires.
So I need a quality meter?

please explain this more in depth.. i found a par meter for 249 ther other day that looked very nice, with good accuracy. however if there is a cheaper alternative i wouldnt mind per say.
+1

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yes a quality meter whose resolution is in mV, maybe $80 or so. The sensor isn't cheap btw. You'll be hacking into $160, just the cable though. It's basically a solar cell/resistor that emits a small amount of voltage when light from a certain spectrum hits it.

If you can afford it get a Parmeter. They'll calibrate it for you. You can't really do that with a voltmeter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts