The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone rent out a par meter? I’m happy to leave a deposit and would only need for an hour and would have it back in the mail to you the next day after I receive it.

Obviously I’m not going to send a deposit unless you’re a well known/established member here.

Unfortunately no local shops have one near me.

Please message me if you can help. I’m in Arizona

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Does anyone rent out a par meter? I’m happy to leave a deposit and would only need for an hour and would have it back in the mail to you the next day after I receive it.

Obviously I’m not going to send a deposit unless you’re a well known/established member here.

Unfortunately no local shops have one near me.

Please message me if you can help. I’m in Arizona

Thanks
Tim

It's Black Friday @ BulkReefSupply.
Buy one and rent it out to your LFS.. Shame them.. ;)

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sq-520-full-spectrum-smart-quantum-sensor-apogee.html
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/seneye-reef-monitor.html

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Uh oh....lol

Is the Seneye fairly accurate at the lower and higher ends of the spectrum? I've read that some meters fail at reading something like 450nm and below and 660nm and above leading to readings that are lower than they should be.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Uh oh....lol

Is the Seneye fairly accurate at the lower and higher ends of the spectrum? I've read that some meters fail at reading something like 450nm and below and 660nm and above leading to readings that are lower than they should be.

funny thing.. It's sensitivity is equiv. to the "old" Apogee 200 series but in practice (numerous discussion and comparisons on reef tanks against Li-Cor and the new 500 series) the "errors" don't really show.
Now if one had a hort. lit tank (heavy 660,430) it is very possible it is quite off..
https://www.seneye.com/light/par

Apparently the overshoot in high red compensates for undershooting the low red.. ;)
Sad too because it is just a bad choice of a high pass cut-off filter..

·
Registered
794 Posts
Do you all use any of the other features of this (pH, NH3, etc.)?

I take it this is not also a pH controller, would just be a meter?

Right, it’s a monitor, not controller. You need to buy slides that “expire” after 30 days of use if you want it to test pH. They are ~$10/each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Right, it’s a monitor, not controller. You need to buy slides that “expire” after 30 days of use if you want it to test pH. They are ~$10/each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yikes, okay. Thanks for the info. Time to Google more!

Need to decide this or a pH controller... well not need, just nice to have things!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yikes, okay. Thanks for the info. Time to Google more!

Need to decide this or a pH controller... well not need, just nice to have things!
In my experience, you really don't need to own a PAR meter.

Maybe it would be more useful if I was constantly setting up new tanks with different types of lighting, or if I wanted to mess with my bulbs a bunch, but for the most part you test your PAR once or twice and then the thing just sits around in a drawer.

Makes a lot more sense to try and "rent" one. Whether from your LFS or another hobbyist, or buying it, using it, then returning it :)

Owning a pH controller is a solid investment.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
In my experience, you really don't need to own a PAR meter.

Maybe it would be more useful if I was constantly setting up new tanks with different types of lighting, or if I wanted to mess with my bulbs a bunch, but for the most part you test your PAR once or twice and then the thing just sits around in a drawer.

Makes a lot more sense to try and "rent" one. Whether from your LFS or another hobbyist, or buying it, using it, then returning it :)

Owning a pH controller is a solid investment.
Agreed. I was fortunate got my Seneye for less than a 100 used on the auction site.

Don't use it that much, but when I do I am very glad to have it.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I think you guys just annoyed my wife because this might have to be an early Christmas gift hahaha.

@jeffkrol, since you linked the equipment, I'll just say some dude named Jeff on the forums pointed me in the right direction. lol

sure throw me under the bus.. I'm used to it.

Do you need to buy both?
As stated earlier.. no.

OK first I'll start with nobody needs anything besides food, water and shelter..

I feel the PAR meter vs pH controller is an interesting discussion point..
Don't think either are needed btw BUT light is one variable in the tank that isn't easy to measure short of a PAR meter.
CO2 can be monitored and controlled by any number of cheap ways..

Money no object but only for one or the other. I'd pick a PAR meter over a pH controller (well money IS an object and I still did it)..

Like do you buy a salifert test kit or a $500 optical lab and reagents??

To the entrepreneurial types..easier to rent out a PAR meter than a pH controller... ;)

Ahhh capitalism..

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The SQ-520 is a great deal. It measures the same as a Li-Cor basically. Plus you will get your money back much faster renting it out vs a Seneye.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts