The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have a 36g bowfront, that's a little over 18" from substrate to light, I have a finnex 24/7 and a satellite planted plus both running the same time, I can't really find a chart that shows if I'm at medium light, high light. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pic for attention.

·
Registered
390 Posts
What size is that light? Depending on the size will determine the output:

Depending on the size will determine your light output. I'd guess that you have about .4-.5 Watt White LEDs and the RGB ones are .1 Watt LEDs from the image above. I have a 36" LED light with 54 LED lights:
- 24 White LEDS (10000K,0.5w)
- 24 Blue LEDs (460nm,0.5w)
- 3 Red LEDs (625nm)
- 3 Green LEDs (525nm)
For a total of 3240 Lumens @ 27.5 Watts. Hopefully that helps.

Someone else made a post on the satellite LED here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/169-current-usa-ecoxotic/379417-satellite-freshwater-plus-bright-enough.html

Neither manufacture is giving me Lumens which is what measurement used for light output so it's hard to truly tell.

I'd wait until someone who has this light can comment. In order to get proper the proper settings you'll need someone who has used a measured their light output at a specific distance or do it yourself. This ensures you have the light at the right distance from the tank to achieve the right balance. Without proper calibration, it's all just guess work.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Alright so I have a 36g bowfront, that's a little over 18" from substrate to light, I have a finnex 24/7 and a satellite planted plus both running the same time
both charts are available.. Just add them together for an estimate. W/ the 24/7 a LOT depends if you are running it in 24/7 mode or not:

NOTE 100% PAR not 100PAR:
depth/offset 1",,, 6"
12" - 75
16" - 65
18" - 48,,, 45
20" - 45,,, 40
Sat plus at surface and 7"

Depth in Inches PAR Readings in Micromoles
12” 36 micromoles/cm2
18” 28 micromoles/cm2
24” 21 micromoles/cm2
http://current-usa.com/is-the-satellite-freshwater-led-plus-bright-enough/

70PAR +/- some due to spread @18"

One attempt at categorizing levels:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew the par of both lights, and their combined total, but I can't find if in in medium light or high light, the 24/7 is 48par directly below at 18" and the current is 28 par at 18" which gives me 76 par at 18" I run both lights at max at two different times during the day. According to that chart I'm in the medium light range.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I knew the par of both lights, and their combined total, but I can't find if in in medium light or high light, the 24/7 is 48par directly below at 18" and the current is 28 par at 18" which gives me 76 par at 18" I run both lights at max at two different times during the day. According to that chart I'm in the medium light range.
I would rate that as high light. In any case it is high enough that you really do need good CO2, pressurized CO2 so you can avoid changes in concentration of CO2 day to day. Without enough CO2 and consistent CO2 you are very likely to be visited by BBA, which will refuse to leave.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would rate that as high light. In any case it is high enough that you really do need good CO2, pressurized CO2 so you can avoid changes in concentration of CO2 day to day. Without enough CO2 and consistent CO2 you are very likely to be visited by BBA, which will refuse to leave.

I did have a visit from bba during figuring things out, I recently started dosing fertz using the ei method, and using split phot periods and that helped drastically, there's a few diatoms on the front glass other than its no where else in the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts