The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to possibly make a 40 breeder planted tank soon and was wondering about lighting. Would one 14w par30 in the middle and one 9w par20 on either side of the par 30 be enough light? I plan to have some dwarf tears and a few background plants. I would hook them up to dimmers also. The reason I would like that type of lighting is because it follows the scheme of the room very well and would like to keep the theme of lighting going. Thank!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it wont let me post the link, but here's the title if you want to look it up

High Power CREE E27 Dimmable PAR20 PAR30 PAR38 LED Light Bulb Lamp 85-265V

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not sure if there is any PAR data on Par20/30/38 bulbs however I would advise you to get the 120 degree optics for more spread and less of a spot light effect on your tank. However this will decrease the penetrating power of the bulbs. How high above the water's surface do you plan on hanging the lights? For me I would want as power over the tank as possible. Since you'll have them on a dimmer anyways you could always dial back a higher watt bulb and still have the ability to increase power if you needed to. I'd go with three Par38 bulbs with 120degree optics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a par38 for a reef and it was massive so I don't really want to go past a 30 with 7 leds. I was thinking 3 par30s now to be in more control. I would have them on a pulley or in piping that hangs down over the tank thats adjustable. (the room is "industrial" decor). I was planning on doing one warm white in the middle with 120degree and then cool white on both sides of it with 60degree so i don't get a big spread into the room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts