The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a new planted Fluval Spec V aquarium recently and went through a couple weeks of cycling (which I am sure still wasn't enough). I added 5 neon tetra this past Saturday and they are staying a group of 4 at the bottom not swimming around, with one off to itself, and they are moving their mouths rapidly almost like panting. Is this something that I need to be really concerned about and/or what can I do to fix it? I did a 10% water change after checking my water (DI), all nitrite/ate + ammonia all read 0, ph is ~7.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Are you doing co2? Any surface movement by powerhead or hob filter? Are you treating water before putting in tank? If it was low o2 they would be on top. What's the temp at? I would recheck ammonia and nitrite. Make sure and bang the tops of the bottles hard against something. Seen this time and time again causing false readings.

Yes you should be concerned. Something not right and am betting high ammonia and or high nitrite.

Unless you used pre used media from a cycled tank 2 weeks is not long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
How long are you letting your nitrite test sit?
It isn't an instant test. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Quick question, when you said you cycled your tank, how did you cycle it?
What were you adding to the tank to feed that bacteria?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Those API test kits some you need to really knock the tops hard. I've seen so many times giving false reading not doing such to find out they are higher than originally read after doing what I said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any CO2 set up, but I am dosing Seachem Flourish excel + trace. There is surface movement with the filter outtake-I made sure to point it upwards. The temp was ~78F ish, but I did end up turning it down to ~73F ish in case it was the warmer water causing problems. I use DI water and when I did the water change, I did add some conditioner just to see if that would help in any way.

As far as the tests go, I was using the API strip tests and letting it sit for ~1min before reading. I will be purchasing the liquid test kits as I was unaware about the inaccuracy of the strips at the time.

Cycled by using media from established tank, adding Tetra Safe Start and ghost feeding.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I don't have any CO2 set up, but I am dosing Seachem Flourish excel + trace. There is surface movement with the filter outtake-I made sure to point it upwards. The temp was ~78F ish, but I did end up turning it down to ~73F ish in case it was the warmer water causing problems. I use DI water and when I did the water change, I did add some conditioner just to see if that would help in any way.

As far as the tests go, I was using the API strip tests and letting it sit for ~1min before reading. I will be purchasing the liquid test kits as I was unaware about the inaccuracy of the strips at the time.

Cycled by using media from established tank, adding Tetra Safe Start and ghost feeding.

How much DI water do you use? All? Half? 78 should be perfect actually.

If using all DI water are you adding gh/kh back in the water? What is your ph/gh/kh?

Read your ph is 7. What about gh and kh?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I set it up + water changes, I use mostly DI with a little bit of tap with the conditioner in case there is anything essential missing from my DI line. My water is fairly hard- GH ~120ppm and KH ~80ppm.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
But if you are doing mostly di then it's a lot less than that. Almost all DI without adding gh/kh is not good depending on how low it is. They need some kind of calcium in the water if you are depleting it that much.

When you say conditioner what exactly are you using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But if you are doing mostly di then it's a lot less than that. Almost all DI without adding gh/kh is not good depending on how low it is. They need some kind of calcium in the water if you are depleting it that much.

When you say conditioner what exactly are you using?

I'm just using the Tetra brand conditioner. I think it's called AquaSafe Plus.

I noticed today that they weren't "panting" as rapidly as yesterday. I have been doing water changes ever since seeing them like that to see if that might help. Also, when I removed my light to change the water, they seemed to be more active and explore a little when it was dark. Is it possible that this behavior might be due to stress or bright light compared to the tank at the store they came from (which was totally dark)?

--side note-- thank you so much for your help :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.