The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I've been trying to design a panel mount for the regulator inside an ADA-style cabinet. The panel will include:
1. regulator body
2. gauges
3. metering valve
4. bubble counter

This design would require stainless steel braided hoses between the regulator to the tank, and the regulator to the gauges. The only piece of equipment that would be attached to the regulator body is the solenoid. The benefits are easier tank changeout, no tank tip-over, and it will look nicer.

But I'm having difficulty coming up with a design that is aesthetically simple and pleasing. The biggest issue is the top front ledge of the cabinet which forces the arm to reach under to reach the pressure adjustment knob. This also forces inconvenient placement of the gauges. It's possible to mount the gauges on that front top ledge so that it is viewable with the cabinet door closed. Would that even look right?

I don't think so. It would look better if it were mounted on a panel inside the cabinet but I haven't figured out the best arrangement.

Any ideas?

This would only be the tank pressure gauge, not the working pressure gauge.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In my opinion, mounting and equipment, including gages, on the outside of the stand kind of defeats the whole idea of using an ADA type stand.

If you look at ADA tank setups, they generally go to great lengths to hide all equipment, and have very clean lines. Putting gages so they show is not consistent with these design goals.

It's not that you can't do it, it's just not going to look right.

If your using tanks from a typical gas supply place, you may find that they vary in size a little, or you may want a larger or smaller tank. I don't think I'd want to have panel mount that would restrict me to a single tank size.

What I do is to chain the tank to the outside of the stand, in the back. That way I can easily work with everything, and use any tank size. It doesn't show unless you look around back. However, this option may not fit into your plans, if you want to hide everything.

If I felt I had to hide it all, I'd put the tank and regulator in the stand and chain the tank to the inside of the stand. After all, once it's running, you only need to check the gages once and awhile. A single 10 lb tank will run my 90 gal tank for 6 to 9 months.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I don't think it's such a good look. If the top front panel were removed, it would look a little better:

The panel can be mounted inside, behind the doors. The gauges can then be mounted onto the panel but the other equipment can't be mounted on it because it would be too close to the doors. So I'm trying to incorporate a separate panel just for the regulator, metering valve, and bubble counter. This is the design problem I'm having.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.