The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually most of my tanks remind me of little protected alien worlds. This one is a bit stranger than the others...

This corner bowfront started out as a typical "nature aquarium" setup, and was later changed to a rockscape.

Recently I had to move this tank. To prevent damage, I removed most of the water, disconnected CO2 and heater, and it stood in a corner for many weeks, just lit by a 15W T8 bulb. Plants didn't grow much, but the tank had an amazing clarity to it.

With the lowered water level some of the plants that grew on rocks turned emersed. Initially, the leaves of Java Ferns and Anubias dried out a bit. Some didn't recover, but others started to look better.

This was when I realized it would be nice to observe how our plants fare outside of their usual element.

So I redirected the outflow of my mighty AC30 to overflow the "main rock". This isn't entirely beautiful, I just haven't found a nicer looking outlet yet.

From there, I started to throw some aquatic plants into that area. You can see the Ceratopteris fern which I knew would do well in air. New Windelov leaves shooting out everywhere. There is some Marsilea that seems to be a bit angry about the missing nutritious substrate, but otherwise looks not bad.

Anubias does great, you can see the older leaves (spot alga) as well as newer ones. Lindernia, Pearlweed, Pellia, mosses... there is much more... this is actually fun. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Very nifty. Is there anything under there holding the mass up or is it just floating? It definitely has turned out very natural looking.
This fun you speak of... I got some of that too when I started the riparium. Its definitely interesting to move into the unknown and see how things work themselves out. I can't wait until this spring when I can walk into any terrestrial plant retailer and just try things that look cool.

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a lava rock like this one, just much bigger, reaching up to about 2/3 of the tank height.

Over time, it has overgrown with Java Ferns and Anubias. So it's not very visible, especially in FTS's. I'll post more pics in the future where the submersed part becomes better visible.

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A sprig of Marsilea got stuck there. Not happy about the lack of a rich substrate, but holding on nevertheless. In front, I planted Lilaeopsis mauritius/mauritiana. Everything in that picture is really much smaller than you think. ;)

This tank is non-CO2, but gets some macros and micros. It is unheated too. Different.

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Told you it's a weird tank. No fish in it. The only prominent animal can be spotted in the full tank shot (first post)... can you identify it? :fish1:

Just another picture... if you look closely, you can see Pellia "leaves" emerge from where the moss is growing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thats the white cloud baby from your plywood tank, right? Very cute!!
I really like the picture of the anubia roots... looks like some pretty healthy growth there ;)

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am still having a blast with this tank. Maybe because it is so different than all the aquariums I had before. Maybe because it is so very low maintenance.

Lindernia 'Variegated' doesn't seem to care whether it grows in or out of the water. Of course there isn't a trace of algae on the emersed leaves. Some of the Water Sprite leaves are turning a bit brown. Not sure if it is lack of humidity, or nutrients. New leaves are looking good though, and if you look closely, you can see baby ferns emerging.

Windelov Java Fern is changing its leaf shape to a more filamentous, deeper cut growth.

The WC minnow baby has almost doubled in size since the last update. Tail is turning red, and the iridescent green/blue line is still present.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Excellent! Definitely looks like a fun project. Do you have a cover on it to drive up humidity any or are you just going on whatever ambient moisture might be contained in the open top?
If you ever get to the point of needing to remove any of that emergent Windelov I'd love to buy a rhizome starter off of you for the riparium. Looks like it would make a really nice centerpiece as it grows.

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, the tank is pretty much completely covered with glass panels. No open top tanks in my house... I can do without the mold. :smile:

I can send you some Windelov, pm me your address. But if you have some submerged just take that, new leaves will start to change shape.

If your tank is open top, the humidity might be too low though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
WP, I just read in your other jornal, that this is your 36ga corner tank... What happened to the awesome crinum that was the center piece there?
I loved that plant!!!

·
Are these real?
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That plant (along with some of its babies) sits now in my 250 gal tank. While it grew nicely in the corner tank, it became very large, and made the rest of the tank look very small, proportionally speaking.

With this tank now being half-empty, there was no way to fit it in.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts