The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pandanus tectorius - Amazing Collector Plant

This offer is for a wonderful collector plant suitable as a potted houseplant or riparium specimen, the Hawaiian hala screw pine, Pandanus tectorius.

This species is in a botanically unusual plant family, the Pandanaceae, and it is native to Hawaii where it grows on sunny beaches. The genus Pandanus has quite a few other species which are collectively refered to as "screw pines" because the leaves unfurl in a spiral pattern giving the foliage a striking corkscrew form. Screw pines also have remarkable roots which develop as a basket like cage. Just look...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&hs=X5d&rls=en&q=pandanus%20roots&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

P. tectorius should be a pretty good houseplant and I am finding that it grows very well as a planted riparium with very good root formation. The plant that I have going in a riparium is already forming the stilt roots too. I understand that it can tolerate salt, so it might be a good companion for mangrove trees in brackish ripariums, although I haven't tried this yet. This plant does eventually grow into a medium-size tree, but I imagine that you should be able to control its size to a certain degree. It absolutely will not tolerate freezing temps, so you would only be able to plant it in the ground in Southern Florida or in Hawaii.

It is important to note that this plant has sharp spines along the leaf margins, so you should handle it with care.

I have two or maybe more plants here that I might part with. The larger (~15" tall) I'll sell for $8, while the smaller (~6" tall) little pup on the side is $5. I can also make these into riparium kits at a good price with the riparium planter cup and substrate. USPS Priority shipping will start at $6 and increase for far away destinations.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember my mother had a variegated form of this plant. It's a great focal point or contrast medium to perk up a bland scape.
Yeah these are extremely cool plants, and very easy to grow. I got a little crazy buying them and now I have a little collection with six different species. I still don't have any of the variegated ones yet.

I am growing most of the as houseplants, but it looks like the P. tectorius grows very well as a riparium plant too.

I'll gladly take the tall one off your hands.

PM sent
You got it man.

It looks like I have just one P. tectorius left. I might decide to sell one more after that too. I might also place another order from the nursery in Hawaii if I get enough interest for these.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Yeah these are extremely cool plants, and very easy to grow. I got a little crazy buying them and now I have a little collection with six different species. I still don't have any of the variegated ones yet.

I am growing most of the as houseplants, but it looks like the P. tectorius grows very well as a riparium plant too.
It likes to grow partly submersed along rivers and creeks in the tropics. The leaves are dried and used for making mats.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I saw the name and knew what is was, but why would someone sell it?:icon_mrgr
I've walked by so many of these in Maui and Oahu. Nice plant indeed, never really thought about them as house plants.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep they do really well as houseplants and they can grow into stunning specimens. Here's a blog article (not mine) about a couple of other species...

http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2010/01/chuck-cunningham-pandanus-veitchii-and.html

The first P. tectorius that I got is doing real well so far as a riparium plant too. It has lots of roots growing fast in the planter and several of those prop roots too!

I am sold out of these for now but I can order more in if anybody else might like one.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey here's a quick picture of my mangrove setup that I was working on some more last night...

There are two P. tectorius in there. They are nice for adding a grassy look to a brackish riparium.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LIke I mentioned I am all out of these for now but I wanted to post this quick picture that I got.

I have had this plant going in the planter for about 6 weeks now and it is just beginning to grow prop roots. You can see that there are also many healthy roots growing in the planter.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are all gone for now I just shipped the last extra plant this afternoon.

But let me know if you might like to get one and maybe I can put in another order.

I can also get Pandanus utilis, which has really attractive red leaf margins and exaggerated leaf spirals.

The plants in my mangrove setup (above) are still looking great.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have P. tectorius in again!!!!

These are nice hefty 10-12" plants yours for $10 each.

I can also send as a kit with a riparium planter. Pandanus also make great houseplants. Just plant them in pro-mix potting soil, keep evenly moist and give them as much light as you can with light fertilizaiton every once in a while.

Look at the amazing stilt roots that these things grow. This picture shows a big (~20') plant, but I had small plants start to grow stilt roots when only about a foot tall.

·
GEEK
664 Posts
I saw the name and knew what is was, but why would someone sell it?:icon_mrgr
I've walked by so many of these in Maui and Oahu. Nice plant indeed, never really thought about them as house plants.
I was wondering about that. As soon as I saw the work Pandanus, my first thought was lauhala.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two of these are gone and now I have four.

Pandanus are excellent houseplants and will grow well in your riparium, freshwater or brackish, very well too.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a few more Pandanus left.

Here's another shot of those consrvatory plants. You can see the spiral foliage arrangement pretty well in this picture.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts