The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I noticed one of my Panda Cories was on their last leg and didn't look so well and was very lethargic. I also noticed the coloration on the 1 cory was different, it was more of a grey color. Just the one though. I have 5 others and they are doing just fine as well as the rest of the fish in the tank. No other deaths.

I checked the water parameters and tested the water and everything was good, so what could have caused the random death?

One issue I'm having with Cories is that the food I feed them, API bottom feeder pellets, well I'm not sure if they ever successfully get to eat it or not. Every time I sprinkle them in there, all the Tetras I have go after them. I've never to this day seen them eating the stuff, but I've always seen them nosing around the substrate when I throw the stuff in.

Could there be a possible connection? Could the Cory Cat possibly have starved?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Feed your other fish first and while there busy chowing down sneek some sinking pellets ... some crushed on the other side of the tank or feed the cories just when lights go out before the other fish can adjust to the darkness.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Try one of the tablet form foods maybe?
I'd use tetra prima granules, some of it is bound to fall out of reach for other fishes, or simply be too big too eat.
The corries just suck on it till it is gone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a similar issue. I use Hikari bottom feeder discs. I have alot of fish in my tank and some shrimp. There are two things I did that helped.

One was, I started breaking up the discs into smaller peices to give the Corys more shots at it. The second was I started feeding two times a day. I feed Thera-A small fish during the day. I make sure I agitate the water when I drop the food in so they'll sink directly to the bottom. All the fish seem to like to eat down there anyways. Second, I started feeding the cories broken up discs about an hour after the lights go out. Corys are diurnal and most schooling fish will "sleep" at night. Since I started doing this my Corys bellies are staying nice and plump. Although my Gold Rams caught on and now I feed the Corys and Gold Rams broken discs lol

It was 2 Panda Corys I lost from my original 6 as well, to what I believe to be starvation. I replaced them, now I have 6 thriving Pandas.

A side note, I have alot of driftwood in my tank and love it when my Pandas do fish impersanations. Sometimes they'll impersonate my otos and look like they're sucking aufwuchs off the wood and glass. Sometimes they'll do an Upside Down Catfish impersanation and look like they're eating from the bottom of the driftwood. Great fish to keep.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Woke up this morning and thought about your situation. I thought maybe try a tank divider of some sort if it is possible to keep the other fish away and see if that will help for a period of time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same issues with some ambiacus corys I put in a tank with a school of various tiger barbs. The barbs didn't bother the corys one bit, but incessantly followed them around the tank ready to gobble up any bits of food that were stirred up. I couldn't feed the barbs fast enough to "distract" them from the sinking wafers, and barbs are just like English Cocker Spaniels - they have bottomless appetites, so no matter how much I fed them, they still went after the cory food. I do have a BN pleco in the tank but the barbs aren't as nuts over the algae wafers or zucchini slices he gets. Yellow squash, however, is a hit with all.

Finally I couldn't stand it any longer and set up a dedicated cory tank. They do have to deal with another piggish little BN pleco and a couple of guppies (long story), but everyone gets plenty to eat.

I did lose one of the corys last night, though - a small julii - and I have no idea why. The other two julii are just fine, along with the several ambiacus & leucomelas and one arcuatus (skunk) cory. I have zero ammonia and nitrites, ~20 nitrates, pH 7.6 and 75F. They have all been together for several months now with no new additions. I'm bummed but I suppose that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Chris

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
P.S. I just added a river sand patch for my corries living in a gravel capped substrate tank today.

They are happier than a pig in sh%T, digging right up to their eyeballs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Feeding Corys after lights out helps a great deal. Far less competition. The same goes for many other catfish species. Alot are nocturnal. It works for both nocturnal and diurnal species.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I crush up their food and spread it around the sand bank. I also have a piece of zuchini weighted down by plant weight that they can graze on. I have TONS of shrimp but the cories has learned to push the shrimps out of the way for food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.