The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello TPT!

This thread will chronicle the development of my paludarium and the inhabitants which reside within. I'm new to the world of planted tanks, so any and all constructive criticism and compliments are welcome! :)

First, an intro:

I'm Topher, a freelance photographer based out of Austin, TX (look me up for all your Real Estate and Fine Art needs :)) I got into this hobby back in April, when my neighbor abandon his tank outside with all of the current inhabitants still inside! Since then I've become obsessed with both the planted aspect and the fish/amphibian keeping aspects as well.

The Tank:

Its a Marineland 60g, that I bought at petsmart with a stand on sale for $175.00. I've set it up half water half(ish) land.

hardscape is mostly all riverstone harvested locally and the plants are all low-light Anubius, Java Fern, Jungle Val and a few others who's names escape me at the moment (yeah I'm a noob).

The left side of the tank is the wetlands area. There is a drilled plexi platform just below the waterline, which allows the peat moss substrate to be constantly wet and allows me to grow riprarium plants like Sweet Flag, Raspberry Swirl Joseph's Coat, and moss.

The right side of the tank is completely separated from the water to form a dry prairie type area for my Eastern American Toad. It has an organic dirt substrate for him to dig in, as well as for growing Forget-Me-Not, Blue Flax for some background color and dimension and Dichondra for ground cover.

Equipment:

This is a low-light/low-tech tank, so nothing fancy here. For filtration I have a Tetra Whisper 20i hidden in the rock structure for the water fall, there is a Penn-Plex Cascade 1000 canister filter under the tank for primary filtration and water movement. Temp is monitored with a Fluvial digital thermometer. For lighting, I have one 48" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 and two 17" T8 fixtures wired to a digital timer. One T8 has a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb for the amphibians and the other is an UltraSun. for ferts, I dose Flourish comp every few days and a cap of Excel every morning.

The Residents:

Underwater I've been keeping it simple. I have 3 Comet Goldfish; from left to right their names are Goldilocks, Philip, and John.

I also have two Zebra and one Tiger Nerite snails.

Topside, there is Dudley, the biggest of the Frogs.

Then there is Kira, the dopey Northern Green Frog.

She's a sweetie.

and last but not least, the super animated and perpetually grumpy Mr. Toad

(he says, "Get off my lawn!")

A short and terrible video of everything in action.
https://youtu.be/mfi8hryjoWE

Thanks for reading!

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess people aren't interested in Paludariums... I thought it would be cool, cause its immersed and emersed plants, but maybe I was mistaken. Obviously I'm not trying to recreate any particular style, I prefer a more whimsical artistic style, but that doesn't mean I don't need advice and guidance on growing plants and fish keeping (the amphibians I've got down :)). Looks like I'll have to get that 55g for the goldies up and running quicker than I thought. ;)

· Registered
1,988 Posts
Well, I guess people aren't interested in Paludariums... I thought it would be cool, cause its immersed and emersed plants, but maybe I was mistaken. Obviously I'm not trying to recreate any particular style, I prefer a more whimsical artistic style, but that doesn't mean I don't need advice and guidance on growing plants and fish keeping (the amphibians I've got down :)). Looks like I'll have to get that 55g for the goldies up and running quicker than I thought. ;)
Maybe if you posted this in the Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium section, under General Planted Tank Discussion, you'd get more of a response.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe if you posted this in the Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium section, under General Planted Tank Discussion, you'd get more of a response.
I do. :)

Bump:
This is a cool thread, i have never had a paludarium so this is cool to look over
Thanks! I've been having a lot of fun with it, it's so addicting! I constantly find myself daydreaming about the next plants, where to put them and everything I want to do next, hahah!

Looks awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Thanks! Definitely not your typical planted tank, or paludarium even, but I enjoy it. :)

Can't wait to get the 55g up and running, I'm thinking a more traditional Nature style for that one.

· Registered
835 Posts
love the updates. I keep going back and forth on switching out my 120g to a paludarium.

with a move coming up - it just might be the best time to do it......

· Registered
114 Posts
I have a 55 gallon sitting empty and I've been considering something like this. How are you supporting the land areas? I see two stone columns of some kind. And is the stone in the middle loose or all attached together somehow? Also, did you drill the aquarium for the canister in/outflow? Hopefully I'm not asking too many questions, just trying to gather information in case I go this direction with my empty aquarium.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! They are pretty darn cute! I never knew I could get so attached to fish and amphibians!
Love your critters. They're cuties. :)

Thank you!
this is awesome

The land sections are plexi-glass sheets that I cut to shape with saws and a dremel, then siliconed them to the tank glass and finally supported the non-siliconed end with the stone columns.

The columns were made by stacking the stone as best as it would fit together freely, then hot gluing everything together, and finally siliconing all the stones for maximum durability.

Pressure-points between the stone and tempered glass was a big concern of mine, so each rock structure sits on a large plexi-glass sheet hidden under the substrate.

The plexi on the left side of the tank for land has a bunch of holes drilled in it to allow water to flood that area.

I so wish I drilled the tank! It's just the standard plastic type in/outflow pipes that came with my Cascade filter. I had to modify them to work with the paludarium and the lower waterline, but it was pretty easy.

I'll be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Thank you everyone!

I have a 55 gallon sitting empty and I've been considering something like this. How are you supporting the land areas? I see two stone columns of some kind. And is the stone in the middle loose or all attached together somehow? Also, did you drill the aquarium for the canister in/outflow? Hopefully I'm not asking too many questions, just trying to gather information in case I go this direction with my empty aquarium.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I need more plants! :)

Alrighty planted people, I need a little advice. The stem plants I have in the picture are not doing nearly as well as I had hoped and I would like to replace them with a hearty low light stem plant if that's even possible. I was looking at S. Repens for that area, but if there are better suggestions out there please let me know!

Nevermind my Goldies, they are forever following me along the glass, spazzing out for food, lol.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice work @toadpher.
From what I read, it will be a challenge to keep submerge plants with gold fishes. Crypts perhaps...
Yeah they do pick at the softer leaves from time to time, but never touch the Java, Anubius, and the Jungle Val has been safe so far. I'll check out the Crypts as I don't have any yet.

Bump: One of my frogs thinks it's a toad.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.