The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for inhabitant suggestions for a planted 2/3's water 1/3 land paludarium. I would like to have fish with it(no specific type as of yet). I would like to find something that would utilize both land and water without being destructive to plants i.e. turtles/crayfish. The land will have a waterfall and a river, tank size will be either 29 gal or 55 gal. I would like temps to be in between 75-80 in water and will be using a Planted+ 24/7 for lighting. It will be very accessible to the land for anything that goes in the water.

I have been looking at Fire Belly Toads or some types of crabs or maybe if they can go together if I use the 55gal with enough land space. I have heard both sides of the "Amphibian Species Only" argument and I welcome all ideas. Any ideas on any Inhabitant is welcome and appreciated.

I also apologize if I posted this in the wrong category.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Depending on water parameters (pH, kH, GH, salinity, etc) :

Certain mudskippers are pure freshwater, but I have no idea how they like their water. I'm pretty sure most are wild caught, so you'd have to think about live food at first.

If snakeheads and walking catfish weren't illegal, I'd recommend those...but they are...

Maybe look into a salamander or newt species? Those don't seem nearly as destructive as other amphibians might be.

Also, yeah, you'd get better responses in the Herp subforum. This forum is more geared towards freshwater shrimp and crabs...few (if any) of which are amphibious in nature.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Freshwater crabs are almost all amphibious. There's the geosesarma crabs and Petsmart around here at least sells red claw crabs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw them and think they are awesome. I also seen the vampire ones that are a purple and yellow color. Would they be able to cohabitate with any type of frog or fire belly toads. I have tried to find information on this. I know it is frowned upon with different types of amphibians in keeping 2 different in the same tank because of the toxins absorbing into the skin of others but can I keep crabs and frogs together without any trouble from either side?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure if they're something you'd want, but here's a youtube video by someone with a paludarium with hillstream loaches. It shows them moving over the rocks against the current of a waterfall. Definitely neat little guys that could be worth considering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMevfVPd1PY

ETA or never mind my fish suggestion I had multiple tabs opened -from the recent activity list, I think- and didn't notice this one was in the shrimp/inverts folder. :/

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Do not under any circumstances keep frogs with crabs. Crabs that are big enough to defend themselves will injure the frogs (who die easily from injuries to begin with) and crabs too small to defend themselves will get eaten. Obviously crabs that are too large will attempt to eat other tank mates.

Reactions: Opare

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I thought it would be a long shot but figured I would ask, do you know of any good tank mates for frogs or crabs if they were in a "that" species only tank? Like could FBT's go with some fish around 4 inches long?

That is an awesome video and I was not intentionally looking for fish ideas but never thought of fish who would utilize the land portion.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
firebelly toad care
Here's something I found on fire belly toads.
I would assume that frogs and toads would eat anything smaller that would fit in their mouths. Crabs will eat anything they can catch too.
In general you should only stock tank mates that you are willing to lose. For instance, many people add cheap shrimp to their paludariums for some color and don't worry too much about them being eaten.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts