The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went by the local organic gardening store today to look for some root tabs. They didn't have anything like that so I ended up getting a product called palm tone by espoma. It is a 4-1-5 granular organic fertilizer, here is the product info page http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/pdf/products/tones/Esp_Palm.pdf. I emptied 4 calcium suppliment gel caps and filled them with palm-tone. 2 caps weighed 0.75g, another weighed 0.96g and the other was 1.05g. I put 3 in the back under my vals, and the big one between 2 vals and a mystery root feeder.

Did I just make a terrible mistake?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
that's probably fine in terms of contents, i don't quite understand the "non plant food ingredients," or at least not why they're there- it's just a bunch of species of bacteria?
hopefully they won't cause any trouble in your tank. that's the only thing i'd be concerned about, though. it's supposedly slow-release, so all the nutrients shouldn't release at once and cause an algae bloom.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only hope. I assume the fact that lots of them are derived from 'natural' things may mean that some bacteri work to break them down forms which the plant can use. The main reason I stuck them in, was because my vals and dwarf sag (never did much anyway) aren't doing much anymore, figured my flourite ran out.

BTW, I have a lowtech 29g with 2xT12 on top, glass shrimp, MTS/nerites, kribs and endlers. Lots of cardimine/vals and anubias.

Also, would anyone happen to know about azomite, specifically omri azomite. Here is the analysis of it. The only thing that scares me is the 12ppm of copper. They have lists of 'results' but coming from the producer I'm not sure how much weight I should give them. Shrimp result, fish result,http://www.azomiteinternational.com/SII/Mycotoxin/Mycotoxin.html. I always thought it was fertilizer, I'm just after the Fe anyway, maybe there is a better source of it? I don't think dried blood is a good idea all that extra nitrogen :/

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
there are better ways to get iron into your substrate, yeah
you can always dose with a brand-name iron supplement, or if you want it in your substrate most commercial root tabs have a good amount of iron in them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts