The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Your plants will appreciate having a nitrate level around 10-20 ppm. Your biomedia amount isn't a factor in this. The GH should be higher, to ensure that you have adequate magnesium and calcium for the plants, but the KH is fine. The pH is where it is because the KH is where it is, and it's fine.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Biomedia doesn't have any effect on your water hardness. Why not just add some Ca and Mg if you think it's too low?

Don't get too hung up on pH. Of all the parameters of aquarium water it is probably the least important. Many of us stopped testing it years ago.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the more simple form of nitrogen you cang ive to a plant the better.

Ammonium is what plants end up converting nitrites or nitrates into to use as supplement to make new proteins. It takes less energy for the plants to convert nitrites to ammonium, than it does to go from nitrates to ammonium. So preferably, you should have a slightly higher nitrite level. Now, nitrite can be harmful to some plants. Certain species of plants do prefer nitrites, some prefer nitrates. Ill just have to experiment.

An ammonium/nitrite level is heavily affected by the bio-media, so i've removed some of my media (about 50%) and ill be monitoring my levels.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Certain species of plants do prefer nitrites, some prefer nitrates. Ill just have to experiment.
Never heard that before, but I do know that fish certainly don't prefer nitrites. Both ammonia and nitrite should be 0. Nitrate should be around 10-20.

How old is your test kit? I have heard that when nitrate test kits get old, they may show 0 nitrates no matter what the level.

It seems a bit silly to be monkeying around with your biomedia in an effort to raise nitrite. Wouldn't it be easier to dose some nitrate? And add some Ca and Mg to raise the GH?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.