The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - hoping someone can help. I have a small patch of what I think is etched glass on the back of my aquarium. Looks like someone breathed on cold glass and it fogged up. I've tried a ton of different glass cleaners and it goes away, only to magically reappear like someone is breathing on to it again and fogging it up. I only noticed it when I went to apply a black plastic film as a background. If I paint it with a matte acrylic paint, will the etching still be visible?

·
Registered
374 Posts
If it disappears when wet only to reappear when dry, then it's because the moisture is filling in the roughness of the "etched" part, making it smooth and hence more transparent. Rather than trying to remove it, you could perhaps make it permanently wetted by using some sort of wax or oil. Maybe try some car wax polish, clear candle wax, or something like that. Something that will (semi-)permanently smooth out the roughness of the etch, if that makes sense. Painting, as you suggested, may well do the same thing. But only one way to find out!

Good luck! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.