The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally went with no background on my 10 gallon, but between the filter and Hagen Elite as CO2 reactory, it's getting a little unsightly.

My question is, is there any concern painting the back of the tank while there's life in it ,and any recommendations for type of paint to use?

I want to go black, spray paint seems out of the question as I'd like to not move the tank from my home office.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spray painted the bank of my tank. It takes quite a few coats. As long as you cover the top of your tank while painting there shouldn't be an issue.
My concern with spray painting wasn't so much the tank itself, but the rest of my office, but I'll keep it in mind if I don't find another solution.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've used latex paint with a brush on my 90... (disclaimer -->on the outside glass) and it's really easy to scrape off with a razor if you don't like it. it took 2 coats to get it a solid looking background.

If you go this route, just a heads up that the color looks much lighter than it would on a wall... black looks dark grey, navy blue looks more medium-light blue... etc.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Hi miklb,

I used to spray paint the back of my aquariums black, but not anymore. Most of the aquarium shops offer vinyl "backgrounds" with freshwater and saltwater themes. The "backside" of some of these are black. I use the black backside and tape it to the back. It can also be wetted with water and pressed (smooth) onto the back or some people use vasoline and smooth it onto the back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi miklb,

I used to spray paint the back of my aquariums black, but not anymore. Most of the aquarium shops offer vinyl "backgrounds" with freshwater and saltwater themes. The "backside" of some of these are black. I use the black backside and tape it to the back. It can also be wetted with water and pressed (smooth) onto the back or some people use vasoline and smooth it onto the back.
Hmm, that might be a good way to go. I'll have to check later tonight when I look for a little pump and airstone to offset my CO2 at night.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Only problem with the vinyl backgrounds is if you have suction cups, they won't work any more. I painted a background with rustoleum enamel with the livestock still in place. No issues. Just be very careful not to place your hands in the tank until you have all traces of paint removed if you are messy like me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts