The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with painting the background of an acrylic tank? Want to know which paints to use and how to paint and such. Thanks and looking forward to responses

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've never painted an acrylic tank but I paint acrylic all the time at my shop and I use Rust-o-leum high performance enamel with no problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that would work on the tanks though? Is the acrylic you paint similar to a tank? Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Before you paint an acrylic tank be sure you will never want to remove the paint. You probably won't be able to without scratching the tank badly. I think I would use one of the LFS plastic black background materials for that type of tank.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the background seems to work well but I always have a hard time securing it so maybe rustoleum

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
krylon fusion? (i think that's the name of the stuff.) it's supposed to bond to plastic, isn't it?

try using some automotive window tint. i've been meaning to give that a try. i've heard it works quite well, and when you get tried of a background you should just be able to pull it off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have 2% window tint on mine and it looks great. My wife keeps telling me to do her tank because she likes it so well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm anyone where know to get window tint? I think I'll try rustoleum, krylon, and window tint and see the best results. thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
40 Posts
if you want to remove it later, stop by your local sign shop. they have vinyl, in about as many colors as you can think. its the same vinyl you see as decals plastered to the windows of about all the cars running around lately and can easily be removed if wanted. My Uncle has a sign shop, if you cant find some PM me and maybe I can send you some.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you want to remove it later, stop by your local sign shop. they have vinyl, in about as many colors as you can think. its the same vinyl you see as decals plastered to the windows of about all the cars running around lately and can easily be removed if wanted. My Uncle has a sign shop, if you cant find some PM me and maybe I can send you some.
So I can use the vinyl to remove the paint if I wanted to?

·
Registered
40 Posts
No I meant if you decide later down the road you dont want the background, if you used the vinyl you could remove it. It peels right off... The paint is permanent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts