The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought two blue mystery snails from trinsfish.com. They looked really nice, very healthy shells. Since I've had them they have grown quite a bit, but the shell is growing in black, not blue... I'm in Phoenix, our water is hard. GH/KH 180/120, ph around 7.5 to 8. They have cuttlebone and have eaten ground up egshells (I think they prefer that over cuttlebone).

Is it normal for the shells to grow out dark? Excluse the crappy pic, these guys are really difficult to photograph.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Mystery snails have two different shell layers. The inner layer and the outer layer. (Only the outer layer can be striped, so if you see stripes, it's the outer layer you are looking at.)

I suspect what you are seeing are snails that have different colored inner and outer layers. Sometimes one layer grows faster than the other, and you get a border like you see in your photos. The other layer will likely catch up eventually.

You must be taking good care of your snails, for them to have a sudden growth spurt like that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Randym, I have read up on the growth spurts and how they look (In short, I think you're right).

I think they have been eating pretty well. The snails love the rotting lotus seeds, leaves and stems along with hikari crab cuisine. I also throw in a teaspoon of ground up eggshells once a week (I dry them and grind them in my coffee grinder to prevent tomato blossom end rot). I have actually seen the shrimp eating the little egg shell crumbles, they totally disappear within a few days.

I put cuttlebone in, and see the snails and shrimp hang out on them occasionally. Perhaps the snails were direct imports and now get to eat decently :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.