The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I am helping a friend setup his planted tank, and picked up a used paintball setup.

He has a bubble counter, a nano diffuser, and the regulator/ valve is a small stainless steel single gauge setup. To adjust the flow of co2 you need to turn a clear plastic knob. This is in a 14 G Biocube

The problem is we get it going, we leave for an hour and when we come back to check it has no Co2 comming out anymore. Turn the knob again, and it starts comming out again. This was happening over and over. The tempature of the room stayed an even 72F so I don't think it's the metal in the valve expanding.

Also the tank isn't leaking, I checked with windex for bubbles.

My current setup that I use is a two stage regulator, and I never have problems like this.

Any ideas you have that I could try would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
When you first turn the knob, a blast of co2 comes out, when you try to adjust it, keep in mind there's still co2 within the regulator. And so you must be careful as to still leave it open as you adjust it. If you closenit fully, it'll still come out for a short time since there's still pressure within the on/off valve

Edit: I found the valve for paintball to b a little fragile in adjusting the amount of co2, so my method is using anything nearby to gently tap the valve to adjust it, my hands isn't as gentle and so this way, I get a little more precise adjustments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I noticed I had different results with some diffusers and check valve combos. Spring loaded check valves would give me problems keeping consistent bps for some odd reason compared to unsprung plug check valves.

I use pliers to adjust my DIY co2. I found adjusting by hand is painful and dangerous since my needle valve needs a lot of force to budge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.