The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
The ASA valve should have 1/8" NPT port(s). A standard solenoid will fit or can be made to fit easily with an adapter - that's not the problem. The problem is that no solenoid that we regularly use is designed to withstand the 800psi that comes straight from the paintball cylinder. Normally, a regulator reduces that pressure to a manageable level - generally between 10 and 50psi for our purposes.

If you'd like, you can search for, and ask for help in searching for, a 2-way, normally closed solenoid that can handle that kind of pressure. But my guess is the cost will make it unrealistic. Best bet is to leave it on 24/7, replacing cylinders as necessary, until you save enough cash to buy a regulator/solenoid/needle valve.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would probably just pick up a TAAM dual paintball CO2 regulator with solenoid. They are actually nice and only about $80.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Can i use a standard solenoid on the output of the needle valve that i am currently using?
No. When the solenoid turns off, pressure will build up beyond the needle valve until it matches the 800psi before the needle valve. Long before that happens, the solenoid will become trash. A needle valve is not a regulator - it will not keep the pressure constant if there's a blockage at the far end.

Again, either you need some sort of regulator, or a solenoid capable of withstanding 800psi.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Don't bother. Is not going to work as already has been mentioned. The soleniod isn't "strong enough" to shut off the gas coming out at 800 psi. The only way to use a soleniod is to attach it to a regulator. If you want to go that route, you will eventually upgrade to a full blown CO2 system with a large, regular CO2 tank. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.