The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi Hilde,

A regulator CGA 320 inlet deals with the connection between the CO2 tank and the regulator body. It usually consists of a 'stem' where one end is threaded and goes into the regulator body and the other end is a pressure fit against the output of the industrial type CO2 tank with a threaded nut that holds the 'stem' tightly against the tank output. Normally a washer is used between the stem and tank output to prevent leakage.

CGA 320 assembly

CGA 320 Assembly installed on regulator body (right side)

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
If you are talking about the hydroponics co2 regulator on fleabay under the name WRFCO2, then it's probably not the best choice for aquarium purposes.
+1 for spore, the WRFCO2 is a flow regulator, not a pressure regulator.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi Hilde,

We all needed to learn this somewhere a long the line. You are correct, you will want to purchase a pressure regulator, hopefully one already set up for CO2 with the CGA 210 fitting. Also needed will be a needle valve that will control the bubble count, a check valve to prevent water from flowing from the tank into the regulator. Also you will need some sort of CO2 'delivery system' which gets the CO2 into the tank. It can be as simple as feeding the CO2 into the intake of a HOB filter (Aquaclear preferred with horizontal media), or a glass diffuser with a ceramic disc, or a in-line diffuser like Up-Aqua, or a reactor such as Red Sea 500 (in aquarium) or a Cerges or Rex Grigg reactor (external & in-line). Typically the delivery system determines the operation pressure (output pressure) we use: 20PSI is fine for feeding into a HOB filter intake but other delivery systems may require 30PSI or more to operate properly (that is why an adjustable output on the regulator is important). Also if you are running several aquariums off of one CO2 tank and regulator a higher output pressure may be required. The system in my office feeds three (3) aquariums so I use an output pressure of 30PSI feeding into GLA 3-way manifold (with needle valves and check valves built in). Each needle valve controls one tank.

GLA 3 way manifold with 3 needle valves and check valves - $79.99

Up Aqua in-line diffuser (Atomizer) for canister filter

Bump:
You see I now very little about regulators. Just know a flow regulator won't work.

PSI need to be around 50psi?

Bump:
So with the regulator WRCo2 in attachment I need this? Any parts I need to attach the solenoid?
Hi Hilde,

I have no idea what that is but I have never seen it used for an aquarium CO2 setup.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parts

1. pressure regulator,
  2. CGA 210 fitting.
  3. needle valve for bubble counter
  4. Check valve
  5. CO2 'delivery system'
I have all but the regulator and CGA 210 fitting.

Bump:

I have no idea what that is but I have never seen it used for an aquarium CO2 setup.
It is an Interstate Pneumatics CO2 Regulator. I thought this was what you recommended.

I am hoping to get a regulator for around $60

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi Hilde,

CGA 320 fitting on your CO2 pressure regulator. It can be as inexpensive as this Taprite beverage regulator (single stage / dual valve / with CGA 320 fitting) for $57.00 (on sale) plus $11.96 shipping to GA. You would remove the valve at the bottom of the regulator body (the on/off valve) and install your 'post body' equipment (needle valve, check valve, delivery system in that order). Typically I have to take a trip to a good hardware store to find the fittings I need to connect all of the components. THIS WILL PROBABLY NOT WORK ON YOUR PAINTBALL TANK

·
Banned
70 Posts
I am the one who recommended that regulator - I've used one of them before and they are already threaded for paintball(which you've indicated in other threads that you were interested in).

It's pretty much identical - aside from not being made out of stainless - to the GLA mini regs.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am the one who recommended that regulator
Oops! Dealing with a sinus headache I forgot whom recommended it.

The 1 am looking at is a little different. Made cheaper so won't last as long as a stainless steel regulator.

I think I have everything but the regulator. I connect the Tank > regulator > solenoid > needle valve > check valve > bubble counter. Have I got it right? No other parts?

Bought the Interstate Pneumatics CO2 Regulator after checking the reviews on Amazon. It had all 10s. I think it is perfect me, for it is in my price range and made for paintball tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's pretty much identical - aside from not being made out of stainless - to the GLA mini regs.
What size of paintball tank do you have it on? I will be using it with a 24oz paintball tank. Wondering if I will need an adaptor.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The seller told me it fits a 20oz tank. Called Classic Paintball and he said, " the top is the same. You just have to change the safety."

·
Banned
70 Posts
All paintball pin valves have the same thread, regardless of bottle size. I have run that exact regulator on a 24oz.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All paintball pin valves have the same thread, regardless of bottle size. I have run that exact regulator on a 24oz.
Spore you have been so helpful. Do you know what he meant by the safety needing to be changed?

Bump:
What Solenoid and needle valve did you use?

·
Banned
70 Posts
Spore you have been so helpful. Do you know what he meant by the safety needing to be changed?

Bump:
What Solenoid and needle valve did you use?
I don't know what he means without some context.(we are still talking about the interstate pneumatics painball regulator right?)

I used a Burkert 6011 solenoid and a Fabco NV55 needle valve. I think those might be a little out of your $60 price range though.

Just curious why you are going pressurized if you don't want to surpass that price range? I am not saying that it isn't doable if you are committed to bargain hunting, but I wonder if a DIY setup.. perhaps like the citric or yeast reactors, might not be a better fit for the price? It may even be a better fit for your tank, depending on what your light levels are, and what plants you want to grow.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I don't know what he means without some context.(we are still talking about the interstate pneumatics painball regulator right?)
Yes. I was talking to someone at a paintball game field though.
I used a Burkert 6011 solenoid and a Fabco NV55 needle valve. I think those might be a little out of your $60 price range though.

I wonder if a DIY setup.. perhaps like the citric or yeast reactors, might not be a better fit for the price?
I am not going to get the same solenoid and needle valve you have, I know they will be high grade and expensive. Just wanted to know for reference.

I have tried 2 DIY setups. Yeast and citric acid. I could not get them to work. Had problems with leaks. I can spend more but trying to not do so, for I am trying to save up to buy a house. Just wanted the regulator to be around $60, for that was a bonus I got.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I got the WRCO2 regulator today. It fits my 24oz paintball tank perfectly. I have almost all of the parts I need. I am so excited. Here it is my setup for now. I have 2 needle valves. The second 1 I am using as a T valve. I am going try to find a T valve. I also need a 1/8" male to 1/4" NPT female adaptor and a coupler with 1/4" male NPT post.

I am going to try find the parts at Home Depot and then Victory hardware. If I don't find what I need locally I am going to try Amazon and evilbay. Any other suggestion as where to find the parts? Any suggestion for improvement appreciated.

Attachments

·
Banned
70 Posts
Glad that it is working out for you. Now down the road if you ever have a need for a higher end metering valve, it's not a big deal to adapt it to work with off the shelf parts. Even that home depot needle valve you have now should be a little easier to dial in at a lower working pressure.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts