The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
Hey guys,

I need to paint some pvc parts black, and they will be submerged inside the aquarium. Is there a recommended paint that I can easily buy from HD or Lowe?

Thanks.
I imagine rust-oleum Oil based paint would work, just make sure to let it dry completely. I've never tried it though, so don't hold me to it.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I used laquer thinner to clean my pvc (all letters & numbers gone) then some 400 grit sandpaper, spray paint (fusion), 400 grit sandpaper, spray paint, repeat. I did 4 coats over as many days to let it cure in between, this may be overkill but I did notice if you bump something even lightly after the first coat you will see white pvc, so I'm not so sure about how good this paint bonds. YMMV

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used laquer thinner to clean my pvc (all letters & numbers gone) then some 400 grit sandpaper, spray paint (fusion), 400 grit sandpaper, spray paint, repeat. I did 4 coats over as many days to let it cure in between, this may be overkill but I did notice if you bump something even lightly after the first coat you will see white pvc, so I'm not so sure about how good this paint bonds. YMMV
Thanks for the advice. I couldn't find any Krylon in HD or Lowe, but haven't tried Walmart yet. However I've decided to go with black PVC since I just realized that there's such a thing. I don't need to paint much, just two 24" pipe, so buying black pvc cost the same as getting a can of Krylon.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Everyone is going to recommend Krylon Fusion. It's both made for plastic and easy to use. As somebody who paints a lot, I just use whatever black I have, either spray can or air brush. I am no scientist but I personally believe that any modern paint is going to likely be safer than the soap you use before putting your hands in the tank. But, Fusion is easy to use if you don't have much experience spray painting compared to other brands. I don't particularly like Rustolium and find it has a much longer cure time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.